28 Gal Nano...

TanksDad13

So, I'm no a novice but I'm no expert either. I am the proud owner of a 28 Gal nano that I built in mid Feb 2015. I have a fair amount of coraline algae growing around the tank and everyone seems happy. However, I have a "condition" in my tank I'm curious about. My Kh, Calcium, and Magnesium are all pretty high. I change 5 gal per week and use Red Sea Pro Salt. Some times I have to buffer Alk every day, sometimes it stays high. I use the Reef foundation supplements from Red Sea as well. Here are the levels from my last tank test...

Temp - 78.2
Sal. - 1.025
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - .03
Ph - 8.0
Alk - 12
Calc - 500
Mag - 1480

I have in my tank...
Blue Millepora
Trachyphyllia Brain
Acans
Trumpet Coral
Diaseris Coral
Branching Torch
Glove Polyp (Clavularia)
Chalice
Ricordia Mushrooms
Zoanthids
2 False Perc. Clowns
Ornate Leopard Wrasse
Diamond Goby
Blue Leg Hermits
Astd. Snails

Your thoughts and advice are welcome!

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
From what I've seen and read my Calc and Mag are pretty high, is this true or no? Also, why is it that some times I test and it measures in the low 10/ high 9s, other times its mid 11 to 12. I would like to maintain this by dosing. How do I do that if the usage is not consistent? Why is the usage not consistent?

First I would test the tank and then test your water change salt mix before you add it. I often check my salt mix to verify what the parameters are and how consistent they stay from mix to mix. I found the Red Sea Pro salt to be really consistent. The second thing I would check is your test kits. The calcium seems high for red sea pro. Should be around 450-475. The alkalinity sounds right should be around 12.5dKH. The mag sounds high, should be around 1350-1425 for red sea pro. It sounds like it could be possible testing error or aging kits. Unless you are swapping a lot of corals in and out of your tank your situation is odd. Try (if you haven't already) testing your tank everyday for a week or two and keep a log. (Do not add any dosing). See what the numbers do. They should slowly steadily fall. If your numbers fall rapidly start dosing again but dose the same amount everyday just to keep the numbers from getting to low. The dose has to stay consistent for this time period to verify the numbers. After a week or two you should a have a good picture of what you should be dosing everyday. If the numbers are erratic then I would suspect something with the test kits or testing method. What kits are you using?

I'm currently using RO that has a TDS of 8, I don't have a DI on my system yet. I have checked the parameters a few times prior to adding it to my tank and it has checked out. I use the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit that I received about 4 weeks ago. I have had to add Calc with RS Foundation A (Calc and Strontium) and then add the RS Colors A-D at the prescribed 10:1 ratio.) I regularly add Red Sea's Reef Energy parts A&B (1.5 Ml/day) I have had to buffer Alk intermittently and have never had to add Mag to my tank. I use an app on my iPhone to track all my water tests. I have attached screen shots of Alk, Calc, and Mag. I started using the RS Salt around the first of July and the RS test kit on 7/13. No changes to the inhabitants in my tank in some time.

Attachments

• IMG_5100.jpg
    IMG_5100.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5102.jpg
    IMG_5102.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
I'm currently using RO that has a TDS of 8, I don't have a DI on my system yet. I have checked the parameters a few times prior to adding it to my tank and it has checked out. I use the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit that I received about 4 weeks ago. I have had to add Calc with RS Foundation A (Calc and Strontium) and then add the RS Colors A-D at the prescribed 10:1 ratio.) I regularly add Red Sea's Reef Energy parts A&B (1.5 Ml/day) I have had to buffer Alk intermittently and have never had to add Mag to my tank. I use an app on my iPhone to track all my water tests. I have attached screen shots of Alk, Calc, and Mag. I started using the RS Salt around the first of July and the RS test kit on 7/13. No changes to the inhabitants in my tank in some time.

Really need to invest in a di. Not using it will lead to huge headaches.

jus curious if there is a reason ur buffering alk up to 12? its a bit high and corals will do just fine at 9-10.

I plan on adding one a DI, just haven't got there yet. As far as buffering my Alk I'm going on the recommendation on the Red Sea packaging, for LPS accelerated growth they recommend dKh of 12 and for SPS 12.6. I plan on adding SPS here shortly.

It's not that I don't understand. I get what is happening on an ionic level with the Mag and Calc, and Alk... I am curious if that high of a Mag and Calc level is ok, and are there somethings in tanks that drain Alk without Calc? If so that would explain why I have to dose Alk fairly regularly and Calc every so often... I like this link a little better... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

I dont get all scientific but I see the same thing you do and usually dose alk and nothing else In between w/c. Why I am not sure and to me doesn't really matter as long as the number are where they need to be. My numbers are about spot on what you are giving and my tank is flourishing.I use kents reef salt. I would definitely do di before adding corals for sure. You may not see the effects of using water with 8 but your tank will hit a wall and you will have rock loaded with phosphate and it will take a long while to remove it via water changes. Ask me how I know!lol.

That is nice logging of info. The problem is that it does not show when you do water changes compared to the testing and when and how much you dosed. Some of your numbers only make sense without knowing if you did a water change or dosed. Here is my opinion and take it at that :D I think you are getting erratic inaccurate testing results. Maybe it is with your tests themselves. How you are testing, or maybe how you are cleaning your vials.
Your values will only go down unless you add more calcium, alk, or magnesium either through water change or dosing. They can not just suddenly jump or rise by themselves unless your PH really drops like below 7 and you start to dissolve your rock. I think the inhabitants would tell you the ph was that low though.

Calc, Alk and Mag tests are Red Sea, except Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite are API, Phosphate is Salifert. I run a phosban reactor on my tank for phosphates... I'm going to the LFS tomorrow with a water sample and my test kit to hopefully get some resolution. Either..

A. I'm testing wrong
B. My test kit is bad
C. My salt is bad

As long as what I'm seeing is not bad for my tank or stuff in it, aside from understanding whats going on, I'm not too concerned.

That is nice logging of info. The problem is that it does not show when you do water changes compared to the testing and when and how much you dosed. Some of your numbers only make sense without knowing if you did a water change or dosed. Here is my opinion and take it at that :D I think you are getting erratic inaccurate testing results. Maybe it is with your tests themselves. How you are testing, or maybe how you are cleaning your vials.
Your values will only go down unless you add more calcium, alk, or magnesium either through water change or dosing. They can not just suddenly jump or rise by themselves unless your PH really drops like below 7 and you start to dissolve your rock. I think the inhabitants would tell you the ph was that low though.

I typically rinse the test vials out with tank water before and after testing. Should I clean them with RO or soap and water? I have a notes page on that same app that I keep track of any dosing or water changes. The app is called AquaPlanner. I have it for iPhone, not sure if it's available for Android.

I rinse very well with RODI water. I have had flyer test results when I did not get them rinsed very well. Every once in awhile I get a test result that does not make sense. I rinse really well and try again and always get a new result that makes sense. Remember that we use good test kits but not lab grade by any means. Labs will test a sample multiple times to make sure they get repeatable accurate results. It is hard enough for most of us to test all our parameters once let alone 5 times in a row. Remember we are more concerned with using our test kits to show trends over time and a good idea of where we are at. We are not as concerned with our calcium being 420 or 440 as we are with what our calcium is doing over a week period. (ie rising, falling or what we want staying steady.) This is true for most of what we test. Hope this all helps some.

Ok, I'll give that a try in the AM. Is there a MAX threshold for MAG, CALC, and ALK that is just not healthy for the tank? Where is the line between raised levels for accelerated growth and a crash? All great advice, THANK YOU ALL for your help!!!

Can't sleep... cleaned everything with RO and got the following...

Alk 10.7
Calc 450
Mag 1360

Maybe I just wasn't cleaning things well enough. Good thing is the RC vials have tight fitting lids so I rinsed really well after testing and filled them completely with RO and sealed them up. That way (at least my thought is...) none of the particulates left in the vial can dry and should rinse even cleaner before I test next time.

Back