29gallon

nofr1ends

need help setting up a 29/28gallon bowfront.. that a friend gave me.. I was thinking of setting this thing up unless you guys think I should get a bigger tank. I have a 6gallon that im cycling right now but it needs a light and my friend told me its harder to maintain since its a smaller body of water.. (makes sense)

Im going to build a DIY stand

I was looking at some LED lighting but could use some recommendations.. I only want to spend bout $350 or less for lights.

Should I go with a hob filter or a sump? IF I go with a sump, should I drill or get an overflow box?

How much rock should I put?

also, sand?

What about a in sump skimmer recommendation and a hob skimmer?

There are a lot of great LED light options in that range, a reef breeders is a good quality light within that range. If you go used you'll see Kessil, AI and even ecotech at that price. I'd always suggest a sump if you have the space and if you're willing to drill, drill it. HOB can work and has worked for a lot of people but I still suggest drilling when possible. As far as rock and sand that's up to you. Sand wise you can go bare bottom, deep sand bed and anything in between. Rock I would do based on bio load and filtration methods. People seem to be digging the "minimalist" approach now. Skimmer choices there's plenty of options for just about any price range you can think of. Again the used market can be your friend. Good luck with your choices and future build. :thumbsup:

There are a lot of great LED light options in that range, a reef breeders is a good quality light within that range. If you go used you'll see Kessil, AI and even ecotech at that price. I'd always suggest a sump if you have the space and if you're willing to drill, drill it. HOB can work and has worked for a lot of people but I still suggest drilling when possible. As far as rock and sand that's up to you. Sand wise you can go bare bottom, deep sand bed and anything in between. Rock I would do based on bio load and filtration methods. People seem to be digging the "minimalist" approach now. Skimmer choices there's plenty of options for just about any price range you can think of. Again the used market can be your friend. Good luck with your choices and future build. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this.. are the DIY sumps/stands worth it?

Back