2nd chance at an RBTA

Marchillo

got him on Thursday and he stayed in a little open container at the bottom of the tank until I woke up and he was attached to the powerhead (covered with a sponge). Moved him back to container and figured I'd try to move him after work. I get home and move him, good color, attached to a rock in the container so I move him and the rock out.

So on Friday he stayed in the same place for most of the day but then ended up on the powerhead again. I moved him back to a similar spot and he opened up nice under the blues. I check him around 2 am and in the same spot, a little deflated, which didn't surprise me. I then wake up around 5 am and couldn't find him. To my surprise he's half way across the tank on the sand bed but very very inflated and healthy looking. Best he's looked since putting him in. Lights obviously still off. Then I wake up about 6:30 and to my surprise he is again attached to the same powerhead on the other side completely deflated. Only this time a couple bubbles got stuck and ripped off. That was before I tried moving him. I turned off the powerhead and took the sponge off and removed him. No further damage. This is around 7 o'clock. I changed the timer on my clock by 1 hour so the blues would come on.

He seems attached at the very bottom in almost a cave but he's started to inflate again.

What can/should I be doing.

I'll check params but at last check it was

1.024-1.0245 sg
0 ammonia, o nitrite, not getting readings on nitrate on salifert and Api. So if any they are low.

Alk 8
Cal 410
Mag 1350

I don't have a kit for phosphates. I have gotten some thin brown algae (hairy) on my rocks since I added another light. I know it's not too much.

Is the algae causing him stress? I just got my BRS reactor yesterday and I can set that up running gfo. Does that make sense?

Or is this guy still adjusting?

I wouldn't post but going from looking great to being attached to the ph about 90 minutes later was concerning especially since a couple of pieces got caught.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

He has moved further back into the cave. It is a very small indent in the rock so the cave isn't that deep. Colors still look good and nem is not deflated.

You probably should reduce the flow in your tank until it attaches and can do this by pointing your power heads towards the surface. It won't get rid of it but will reduce it a bit.

So why would you run GFO if your nitrates are 0? Also if your nitrates are 0 your phosphates are probably very low as well.

Back