2nd router for APEX

ClownMan727

I want to run an Ethernet cable to the room with my tank so I can connect my apex. I don't want to run an Ethernet cablee from my existing router, but I already have a coaxial cable in that room. I was thinking running another router from the coaxial cable would work and just plug the apex to the new router. I have FiOS so my existing router is connected to coaxial. What router would you recommended? And how do you set it up?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the router you have currently connected to the coax is a modem/router combo. In most situations you only get one modem per household, the modem is usually provided and activated by your service provider. The modem communicates with you service provider's network via the coax cable, and the router gets the internet connection from the modem and broadcasts it. Some service providers provide a modem/router combo that plugs into the coax and broadcasts the signal, which I believe is what you have.

If you purchase another modem and plug it into the coaxial port it will not work. You would have to call your service provider and get the new modem activated on their network, which will most likely increase your monthly rate.

You won't be able to get internet from your coax without some sort of special help from Frontier (good luck with that). You can make a wireless connection to your existing fios router with some after market help.

For most off the shelf routers, there is firmware available online where you can make it connect wirelessly (basically a hub/extension). I've done this before with one of my old linksys routers. You will need a little networking skill, or good instructions with the firmware, but it is possible. If you have an old linksys lying around, that's all you need. Or you might be able to find one on craigslist.

I've used this with success.
968cd35e45b1ed7fda24b601f8835b8c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Running the wire would be best. You would have a solid connection and won't have to run a long Ethernet wire to update your firmware as you can't update over wifi.

However, if that's not possible you can buy the Netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter. They go for $50 at Walmart or around $25 used on places like eBay. It's probably the most commonly used accessory for older non wifi Apex units. They are proven to work reliably and are relatively easy to setup if you have basic knowledge of accessing your routers firmware settings.

If you're fios, you already have ip over coax. Look up mochanet. All you need is an adaptor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The fish room is now connected. Gets kinda warm in those attics! Thanks everybody. Now to connect my apex.... Tomorrow.

Back