300 Gal Project

You mean to tell me you still haven't put anything in that tank! It's been cycling for three or four months hasn't it? If you need some live sand or water to push it along, come get some.

Also, I have a few frags of that red monti you are welcome to if you want.

Yeah...it's hard to believe. I may get a little sand from you and some monti you have. Travis said that the orange he gave you awhile back is ready to be fraged. Just goes to show that giving frags can help you later when an "event" happens.

The main reason I am taking so much time is that I used my "live" rock from the 120 and with everything that died on that rock. I want to make good and sure things are stable. I have added some pieces of un-cycled LR to get some diversity back. I am probably pretty close to adding things. I have some brown algae growing and green is coming along so once the brown dies off it will be time. I just want to avoid the hair algae stage as much as possible.

Your tank is looking awesome...I love all the room for the fish to swim.

Refugium

Refugium

The 'fuge has been up and running for awhile now. I put this one slightly above the tank to try something different. Hopefully the pods will thrive and naturally overflow into the display tank.

70450CIMG1174__2_.JPG

The Two Part Solution Is the best thing I ever came across. No more guessing!! One Is Calcium, the other Alkalinity, everything is always perfect. It's the cheapest and best solution I've found, I'll be selling a few nice calc reactors and a Kalk reactor!!

70450CIMG1173__2_.JPG

Status

Status

There has been some progress. I've had two issues that were problems. The first was the overflow. Just like the one Jay was complaining about. I hated it. It was definitely going to be a problem when my reefscaping takes place. It is gone now, I can't tell you how much better I like the new setup. The old design took up too much room, was a lot louder, and it didn't keep the top of the water skimmed off very well. The Tank is also brighter with no shadows. Better all the way around.

My intention was to paint the pvc black, but when I placed them to check it out and make sure it would work , everything was so perfect, I left them and couldn't get the glass out quick enough...LOL

If I don't get around to painting some to put in it, they will be covered with coraline before long.
70450DSC00328.JPG

The other problem was the intake on the closed loop. The first design, on the right in the pic, was to small. The new one on the left should reduce the flow pressure. I made it out of a 3 inch pvc end cap. I had to use a dremmel tool to thin out the inside diameter so it would fit right over the bulkhead fitting. It also doesn't stick out as far, and I had the patience to paint it black first!! I'll make another one tomorrow.
70450DSC00697.JPG

Back