300 Gal Project

tbrill

The tank has arrived, the work is on!! The room has been built, we will be running Heat and A/C duct work as well as electric next week. The stand is in production. It will be powder coated steel. Stop by and check it out, any suggestions will be welcome.

70450tank3.JPG
70450tank2.JPG
70450tank1.JPG
70450room.JPG

best of luck.. you may want to start a thread in the large tank forum if you are looking for advice...

Man, You just made me drool on the keyboard, now its not,,,sds working oijuedfef quite jhnksdvfjkl 0890 right... lol

Jason

300 Gallon

300 Gallon

Wow, Wow.......Wow! Please keep pics coming as you progress through the install.

If this is going to be a reef, definately go w/the large lumenarc III reflectors. They are the best according to Sanjay, and are for large tanks. They measure 19.5X19.5 by 8" tall. Best of all you can get away w/3 400watters on an 8ft tank because they are made to hang high, which will also be an advantage to lower heat, and if you use electronic ballasts, you'll save some on the electric bill. I'm going to put 3 on my 180 in the next month or so. They only run 120bucks from Lumenarclighing.com and they even have package deals on ballasts and bulbs.

I'd also use a Sequence Hammerhead to run a closed loop, or 2 sequence darts on a parallel closed loop, and a single sequence dart as a return pump. Make sure you use 1 1/2" plumbing on the closed loop if you use these pumps to get the max flow. You'll need it on this big of a tank. They are super quiet and efficent. Best of all they are American made!!!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hoooly Fishtank, Brillman! :D

I didn't know that you were working on this project.

Is it going in the house or at the office?

It will be at the lot. The 100 gal at the house will come down and be sold when this is ready. I will keep the 75 gal at the house up and grow only zoo's there.

Cool Timmy!

I hope to get SW in the 225 this weekend. I have a Hammerhead hooked up to it. I'll give you an idea of the flow when it is running.

YEAAAAHHH FOR BIG TANKS...oh wait, how much to fill it?

hole

hole

We have a hole in the wall finally!!

Lighting is still not decided. I've been thinking on all t5's. It will be an sps tank. What are your thoughts?

70450PICT2606.JPG

Last edited:
I put 4x54w T5s on my 180, but it's just FOWLR, so certainly not what I'd want for SPS.

ReefGeek's IceCap SLR kits seem to get the most attention as far as recommended units.

I'd send a pm to The Grim Reefer or post in one of his massive T5 threads. He helped me when I getting setup. He could get you going on what sizes and wattages and even bulb selection.

400watt 20k helios on the large lumenar III's w/icecap 400w electronic ballasts(around $350per setup). I really like mine that I hooked up last week and so far everyone that's come over thinks it's the best setup they've seen. Like I offered before, you are more than welcome to come over and see it. Matt run's t5's on his sps tank and has had excellent luck w/his. I just like the faster growth, better color, and of coarse the shimmer effect on the corals using metal halides, and you can for sure get away w/using just 3 as long as you use the large lumenarc IIIs. I say you could even run 250's if you maybe supplemented w/t5's. It'd just really stink to spend a lot of cash, then not be happy w/what you did and then have to redo it.

I'm using 250 mh's on my current sps tank and all is well. But I've read that some folks are having great luck with the t5's. I was thinking they would use less electricity and be a little more wallet friendly.

I probably will stick with the mh's and if so, I would like to see the luminar III's.

It seems like nearly everyone in Central Oklahoma is making the switch to T5's. I have 6 bulbs over a 225g. I used all 80W, but if I were to replace reflectors and all, I'd probably switch to 3' and overlap them. I really like the T5s because they use less electricity, put out a lot less heat, and it doesn't cost a fortune to play around with bulb combinations to get the exact coloring you want.

Take a look towards the end of this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10130147#post10130147

fish room

fish room

We got all the FRP siding up as well as the trim work done inside and out for "the room". The A/C and Heat duct's with return air is all finished also. I hope to slide the tank in position tomorrow. Matt, I need you to come help me make that list if you can!!

70450inside.JPG

70450outside.JPG

If you're talking about Fewell, you'll have to call him. He's out of town down at lake of the O. His dad is helping him redo a house he and Andrea bought. They sold their house and have to be out by the 28th of this month and their new house he is gutting and redoing, and I'm pretty sure he is going to be gone for about another week and a half, if he's back at all, and his parents don't have the net there.

We finally got the tank off the truck and onto the stand. As you can see, we ended up with a wood stand. It will get painted, as well as the back and sides of the tank.

70450inplace.JPG

Back