300 gal reef re-do

Thanks Frankie. I kept the skimmer. Too much work went into that to let it go. Also, Check out our families new addition.

100_2217_2.jpg

Thanks guys. Tom, My thought was having a real nice small tank with very cool lighting that I can keep clean and stock with some interesting pieces was better for me than an 8 foot algae wall in my living room that I kept saying "man I got to find some time to clean this thing." The day I decided to really do it was a Monday morning, I was super busy with cabinet orders, I went in my shop and my skimmer must have been spitting water out of the air intake for the Beckett all night. So to add to my usual rust problem, I now had a mess of water all over my shop. I had almost reached the point to give it all up like so many do but I decided to go this route.

I think your decision was well made. I do not see your new system as a step down. It is quite remarkable actually! I am glad you kept the skimmer. I could not part with mine either if it ever came down to a change.
Great new addition to the family btw. What a beautiful dog.

Frankie, I really liked the use of the check valve on your air input. You know exactly what I mean when it starts spitting during an airlock. I might mess around with it someday and tryout some other options for those down tubes.

I'm not going to show my girlfriend that picture, she's already pushing me for another dog and that picture would definitely push her over the edge. Beautiful pup.

Looks sweet. I love the cabinetry....Cute pup...I am having the same rust issue in my garage, think I am gonna hook up vent or something one day. Hopefully before my tools rust.

hheheheh ..yeah good one...No really I cant bielieve I haven.t done anything yet...

Oh yeah..Glad you stuck at it Paul

Thanks guys.

Eric- venting would be good. above my tank was vented which was good but not the sump. Try a product called Top Saver made by Empire for the tools that are rusting like cast iron tops. This works great for regular humidity, but still is no match for that amount of salt water.

I left the vent fan in the ceiling of the rough enclosure,you can just see it in the 1st picture, more for heat control than humidity. When I built the cabinet I left about 6" of space on the sides and top. This goes down to the bottom of the enclosure where the sump is. With a fan on my sump and the vent drawing the hot air up and out, I can control heat pretty good. The fan and vent on run by the controller. That along with the T5s allowed me not to run a chiller this time.

Will you be starting a new thread on this system Paul or just continue in this one? I would hate to miss out on any updates.

Back