33x22x24 tank. Newbie. Please rate the suitability of these fish.

Zionas

After a long period of contemplation, I've finally decided to go with a 73-gallon tank because I can't go larger than that in my apartment. It will be a reef tank with soft corals only, a tank least for some time. I am not willing to spend more on equipment to keep the higher maintenance stony corals, at least not for now. For the fish, I'm definitely adding a pair of Ocellaris Clowns (I will choose the common or the black variety depending on what's available). They'll be small, I'm looking at the 3-3.5cm range.

The leaves me with a dilemma as to what fish to include after the Clowns or maybe even before the pair. I will give a 2-week gap either way.

I'm putting a hold on Wrasses / Hogfish until I'm 100% sure my tank can be 100% covered (as of my decision 2 hours ago). I love them though.

I'd love a Dwarf Angel, it's a choice between the Coral Beauty or the African Flameback. I'm not sure if my tank size is too small for them to live comfortably and healthily, or that they're hardy enough for a new tank / in general. I also heard they're quite long-lived though I could be wrong. They'll go after the Clowns.

Maybe even a Bristletooth Tang (Tomini, Chevron etc.) as LiveAquaria says a 70-gal as the minimum tank size. But are they hardy and is my tank large enough for them to live comfortably? I do know that Tangs can live for very long. Since it's semi-aggressive it'll go after the Clowns.

A Golden Assessor. I don't know much about the hardiness of these fish, but I do know they cost quite a lot. The ones I can find in China are wild caught, not the ORA ones, some of them were put in captivity in HK before crossing the border to Guangzhou. This one I am considering having it go before the Clowns as it's supposed to be peaceful. I don't know about its lifespan but I assume it's quite long lived?

A Basslet. Both the Royal Gramma and the Swissguard are a bit pricey here. I like both but the Swissguard seems the more exotic one. I heard Basslets can also do at least 7-8 years with ease if well cared for, if not more. They also have a chance of going before my Clowns.

A Yellow Watchman Goby. I'll be pairing it with a shrimp. Not sure if they are jumpers, hope they're not too bad, but I have read several accounts of them living for 9+ years and being very hardy in general. The pair will go before my Clowns or after it, but have a chance of going before.

It'll be a totally new aquarium. If I am able to get a completely covered tank and choose to get a Wrasse / Hogfish, what are some easy and hardy species?

Coral Beauty would be fine, and they seem less prone to nip at corals IME. I LOVE Flamebacks, but almost every one I've ever owned eventually turns aggressive. They do best in large systems with larger tank mates.

Any tang is gonna eventually outgrow your tank. If you really want one, I would suggest a Kole or Tomini - as small as you can find.

I'm sure you already realize this, but your tank is ideal for fairy/flasher wrasses. Those would be the best fit for a tank that size/dimensions.

I love Fairy / Flasher Wrasses. Like really. However, what concerns me is the tendency of all Wrasses to jump (I’ve read stories of ones escaping from the tightest of spaces-or so the owners thought). What also concerns me is their short lifespan of 4-6 years. I love the Pygmy Wrasses and Pink Streak too but they cal out at 3-4. I heard the Lined and Halichoeres can live longer, 6+.

What about a Coral Beauty vs African Flameback / Cherubfish? Which one would be hardier?

Also looking at a Hogfish (Yellow Candy) but since they’re basically Wrasses they’re known to jump a lot. I also want to know how long they can live for.

All fish CAN jump out; Its just that wrasses (and hogfish) are more prone to do it.

You can build a cheap lid using eggcrate, screen and fishing line. Use the fishing line to sew the screen under the eggcrate. You can even cut out the center of the eggcrate to allow more light to pass through.

image-jpg.8360

Your cover looks virtually impenetrable. How much did it cost for you to build it? Have you had a fish jump since? How easy is it to remove it when you want to do water changes?

I don’t think I’ll get a Tang until I can get a 90 gal at least. Even then it’ll only be a Tomini / Kole. A Dwarf angel would be within consideration but I want to know how long they can live for. Same question applies to Basslets / the Assessor.

I’d love to find out more about the Assessor and wrasses. Their care, lifespan etc.

I honestly don't remember how much it cost to build, but it wasn't much. No fish have managed to jump out and you just take it off & on the tank as needed.

I've had dwarf angels live for 10+ years; I believe most wrasses have a 5-6 year lifespan. No idea about assessors.

[MENTION=292535]HumbleFish[/MENTION] What species of Centropyge were they? If that’s true, 10+ years is reassuring when it comes to getting one. Would a Coral Beauty or a similar sized Centropyge be healthy and happy in a tank of my size?

As for Wrasses. I heard the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses Have shorter lives. The Pink Streak and Possum too. Halichoeres and the lined species may live longer though I’m not sure, maybe they could be the ones to push for 10 years or above.

As for Basslets, maybe we could use the Royal Gramma as a reference, but I am not sure. Assessors are also Basslets, I think. I’ve read stories of people who’ve kept their RGs for 9+ years but I am not sure common that is.

The longevity of the Yellow Watchman Goby and Hawkfish surprise me too. I’ve read a few accounts of YWGs past the 10-year mark and Hawkfish from what I’ve read can also do 10.

[MENTION=292535]HumbleFish[/MENTION] What species of Centropyge were they? If that's true, 10+ years is reassuring when it comes to getting one. Would a Coral Beauty or a similar sized Centropyge be healthy and happy in a tank of my size?

I had both a Cherub and Flameback live over 10 years. I've had Coral Beauties and Flames live 8-9 years. Sources online say life expectancy of Centropyge angels is anywhere from 5"“13 years, depending upon location.

I had both a Cherub and Flameback live over 10 years. I've had Coral Beauties and Flames live 8-9 years. Sources online say life expectancy of Centropyge angels is anywhere from 5"“13 years, depending upon location.

That's reassuring to hear. I guess the Coral Beauties and Flames were older when you got them, or were they?

If it's 5-13 years, I hope mine will be able to make it past 10 once I get a Centropyge.

Are they suited for a complete beginner with a new aquarium?

That's reassuring to hear. I guess the Coral Beauties and Flames were older when you got them, or were they?

If it's 5-13 years, I hope mine will be able to make it past 10 once I get a Centropyge.

Are they suited for a complete beginner with a new aquarium?

Coral Beauty is the hardiest and least likely to nip at corals, so that would be my Centropyge suggestion for a beginner.

Coral Beauty is the hardiest and least likely to nip at corals, so that would be my Centropyge suggestion for a beginner.

Are there any alternatives that are just as hardy and almost / just as Reef safe? I'm just weighing my options here and seeing what's out there. Thanks.

Are there any alternatives that are just as hardy and almost / just as Reef safe? I'm just weighing my options here and seeing what's out there. Thanks.

None of these Centropyge are difficult: Flame, Half Black, Keyhole, Lemonpeel, Cherub, Eibli, Flameback. But some are more aggressive and more prone to nip at corals.

Back