440 Gallon Custom Drop-Off Reef Tank

Live Rock Ranch?

Live Rock Ranch?

Hey, has anyone dealt with Live Rock Ranch (liverockranch.com) before? For the sheer amount of live rock I'm going to need for this system, there's no way I'm going to go through one of the LFS (as much as I love 'em, I earned my $ and I'm not going to throw it away on higher prices just 'cause I like 'em), and their prices seem to be pretty great; plus with them being located in FL transit time should be pretty quick, i.e.- less die off. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

Great build - exciting to see all the planning effort coming to life!

Take a look at Sealife inc. We ordered some live rock and live sand from them a couple of years ago and were happy with them.

look into bulk reef supply (their a sponsor so i think i can post this) http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/eco-rox-fiji-dry-rock

I just set up a 120 with their pukani rock that I then seeded with some stuff form another tank. It is the most porous stuff that I have ever seen and when it colors up will look amazing. I ordered some specific pieces and they were great about picking out the stuff i wanted (some really amazing large pieces that I then punched caves into) and it was sooooo much cheaper than any live rock I have seen on the market and you end up needing less because you order a dry weight instead of paying for a bunch of water.

I have done it both ways with live rock from the LFS and this stuff and would NEVER go the live rock way again as I ended up with 2 mantis shrimp in a 65 gallon and fish would just up and disappear overnight but I have also heard of some pretty amazing stuff coming at the other end of the spectrum.

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of updates... I just started a new job and have been absolutely swamped. I promise there will be updates (with pics) shortly!

Hey guys, still been too busy with work to swing by the fabricators and get pics of the tank & stand in progress, but wanted to post the updated design specs for them. On the advice of a couple of good mechanical failure analysis engineers I know, I added some triangular braces to limit the torsional twist and shear potential for failure, changed from a single 1.5" strap across the top to two .5" solid bars across the top, and added some tabs for attaching the wood facings and doors. We also decided to have them weld and powdercoat matching sidetables for the room, as well. Please note, the frame, stand, and tables will all be powdercoated black, they're just red in these images for viewing clarity.

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports1.jpg

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports2.jpg

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports4.jpg

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports5.jpg

Hopefully sometime this weekend or early next week I can get out there and get some real pics, instead of just renderings.

Tagging along... very interested in this one. QQ, why is the stand separated by wood in the middle? Why wouldn't you want the whole thing solid? If it's for portability and being able to fit it in the house, I still ask why it's there and why it wouldn't just be bolted together. I hope you get some time to work on this soon :)

Hey Chad, that's one of the side tables for either side of the couch in the fish room; it's being welded to match the look of the stand/tank. The wood is separated by two pieces of 1" marine-grade ply for a couple of reasons: 1) attachment points for lights/dosers/routing of pipes & electrical, 2) bring the total height to 6" (max height through the door is 35"). In addition, through, the two haves will be bolted together through the ply.

Chad I would also add that if the tank ever had to be moved it would be MUCH easier (if not making it possible at all) to support a cube that the L shape that this would be if the stand were not two pieces.
fjr_wertheimber has inspired me to make a drop off tank my "dream" system but I would do it out of acrylic instead of glass as I think that the acrylic would better handle the stress of that inside corner that 99.999% of tanks don't have to deal with (I also prefer not having the bracing at the corners). I still would do a two piece stand even if I was building the tank in place and never planed on moving it!!

Subscribed, looks like everything has been well thought out/planned.

One thing I didn't notice in your renderings, will you be using the auto-neck cleaner on your skimmer?

and bump for pics!

Back