50w Halide Question

cabanaboy1218

Does anyone make 50w Halide Single Ended Bulbs in the 20k Range?
Kinda of a specialty deal I know, make my own lighting system.

Thanks, Nic

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15431957#post15431957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dave2184
Smallest I know of that aquarium spectrum bulbs are made for is 70 watt.

The 70 watters are DE.

Lowest wattage SE moguls for aquarium are 175 watt. Iwasaki makes a 150 watt medium base in their 50000K and a 20000K. The 20000K iwasaki arent very blue at all. A crisp, cool white. The 50000K is white/violet-blue (actinic looking tint).

Iwasaki does make a 70 watt medium base bulb, it looks like a halogen spot. Well at least they used to, don't know if they still do or not, havn't seen one in awhile. Think it was a 7600k.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15433018#post15433018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dave2184
Iwasaki does make a 70 watt medium base bulb, it looks like a halogen spot. Well at least they used to, don't know if they still do or not, havn't seen one in awhile. Think it was a 7600k.

Yes, those were the Par36 lamps. They also had a 20000K and I think the 50000K as well. They were slated for discontinuation a while ago and I believe they were indeed discontinued. I think the 50000K was axed first and then the 20000K. Those were marketed to be paired with the Icecap PAR pendant, I think it was an Icecap pendant anyway ... a small rectangular looking pendant, I think it was blue in color.
They may still make them in lower K versions for other applications besides aquarium. Then again, maybe the 20K and 50K are still around as well but I dont think they are. I havent seen them for a while either.

They are indeed 50w single ended medium base Halides out of outdoor type fixture. I am playing with them as part of my lighting source. So any more leads?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15435002#post15435002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cabanaboy1218
They are indeed 50w single ended medium base Halides out of outdoor type fixture. I am playing with them as part of my lighting source. So any more leads?

What's the spectrum and who makes the bulbs?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15435002#post15435002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cabanaboy1218

I have no doubt that there are 50 watt medium base halides, I have seen 50 watt halide ballasts. But you stated you wanted a 20K. I dont know of any 20K halides that are 50 watt ... there arent any marketed to the hobby that I have ever seen. And somehow, I doubt that anyone would make a commonly available blue halide in 50 watt because for general lighting you would want a bright 50 watt halide and that means lower K as the par is much lower on the blue halide lamps.
There may be some available as specialty lamps for accent lighting but I dont think it is something you will find very easily. I would check the websites of the halide makers like Radium, Uship etc. Iwasaki as well but ... Iwasaki still shows the high K Par36 lamps in the aquarium lighting sections of their website and, again, these have been discontinued from everything I have read and seen. So check the special colors section and regular lighting section. Or contact Steve at Coralreefecosystems dot com. He would know for sure if Iwasaki still produced the 50 watt PAR36 lamps in 20K.

You know .... you can do a cheap retro for 70 watt DE halides. Hellolights should have the cheap retro reflectors for about 35 bucks and then all you need is lamps and ballast ... you need the ballast anyway. And maybe they have cheap 20K 70 watt halides on ebay. They have the generic aquarium halide lamps in just about every other wattage, so they may have the 70 watters. I just mention this because it may be alot easier than trying to find what you are specifically looking for if it is even available.

... Or just buy a 70 watt DE socket and make your own reflector or retro fit a different reflector ... need a glass shield though.

DarG, thanks for your help. I have 8 bulb T5 HO, just wanna get the shimmer from the halide so price isn't really an issue or even keeping the lights. They are around 4500k.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15436420#post15436420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cabanaboy1218
DarG, thanks for your help. I have 8 bulb T5 HO, just wanna get the shimmer from the halide so price isn't really an issue or even keeping the lights. They are around 4500k.

If you cant find a bluer lamp in 50 watt medium base, maybe look into the 70 watters. 20 more watts and atleast you know you can get them.

Have you thought about LED's? I know some have tried DIY LED to add some shimmer. Also the Current USA LED bars but with mixed results.

Anyway ... Good luck.

Back