52L local critters tank

A new inhabitant. Not sure, but wikipedia seems to indicate these are local and only found on the Australian East Cost and NZ maybe. We call them a toadfish and they are very common. A member of the pufferfish family. Another hardy fish found in shallow tidepools and annoying fishermen by taking their bait.

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

Thanks. I also got some more cerith and nassarius snails.

Funny story about catching the toadfish. Standing in a shallow clear sand pool, the toadfishes in the pool go crazy trying to escape. They are looking for somewhere to hide, and the only spot where the water is a bit cloudy and there is something to hide near/under, is my feet. Yep, they shoot around the pool then settle against my foot where I have disturbed the bottom and it is a bit cloudy. Made them easier to catch in a hand net :)

OK, last two additions to the tank for a while. I am now going to wait for it to settle down again.

Meanwhile I have two more fish to watch. Both from the local jetty - bycatch from people's cast nets :)

A leatherjacket - tiny, just 25mm.

IMG_6959_01.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

A type of trevally (this one will be temporary as he'll probably grow too fast) A good one to raise the nitrifying bacteria levels for maybe my first purchased fish).
IMG_6938_01.jpg

IMG_6942_01.jpg

Just an update on that hydroid colony I had. I expected some dieback, and sure enough there was. But more dieback than I expected, and looking closely at it, I saw a small fluffy nudibranch-type animal munching away (sorry no photos). He has been removed and the dieback stopped. So now to see if it can recover...

Found this on the net - he looked similar to this (maybe not as much yellow)

So, as the tank has well and truly settled down, made the decision to buy some clowns and some leather coral. This means the toadfish and leatherjacket had to go (they have been eating snails and bothering the hermits anyway).

Here are the clowns, all new to the tank and wondering where they are. They have almost picasso clown-like markings. I really liked the look of them.

You can see the sinularia leather in the blurry background. It has not unfolded yet having just been added moments before the photo as well.

You can also see the nibbled hydroid tree.

IMG_6990.jpg

So, as the tank has well and truly settled down, made the decision to buy some clowns and some leather coral. This means the toadfish and leatherjacket had to go (they have been eating snails and bothering the hermits anyway).

Here are the clowns, all new to the tank and wondering where they are. They have almost picasso clown-like markings. I really liked the look of them.

You can see the sinularia leather in the blurry background. It has not unfolded yet having just been added moments before the photo as well.

You can also see the nibbled hydroid tree.

View attachment 32396421
Nice Clowns.

Have you had experience with the Ninja Star snails? I've never had any?
They’re pretty good all around cleaners. They’ll even go after hair algae and cyano in my experience…I had a few years ago, but they have trouble righting themselves if flipped over.

Back