52L local critters tank

reefmusic

As per my intro post...

I have started with a small 52 litre tank (a bit more than 13 US gallons) which can become a quarantine tank if/as I expand. It's a self contained system with over head filter and lights. Heater ordered, but it's summer here so no hurry.

So far, tank and stand assembled, water, substrate (aragonite) and small "Texas holey rock" added. I am using natural seawater (I live in a clean locality) To encourage cycling I went down to the foreshore and got a few small hermit crabs, a small cockle shell, two nassarius snails etc. You know, the tough critters that survive dirty shallow rock pools in the midday sun at high temperatures (which was where I picked them up from).

The tank as of this morning.

2024-01-25_12-01-22.jpg

The cockle shell has buried himself and aligned with the current. Can you make him out under the seaweed. He is the same basic type as the dead half shell behind him.
2024-01-25_12-01-49.jpg

One of the tiny hermit crabs

2024-01-25_12-02-37.jpg

I like the looks of this. I wish I was close enough to the ocean to get local critters and substrate.
You can get similar by ordering live rock and live sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, and/or Gulf Live Rock or similar

Where (approximately) are you located? I'm curious to see what types of creatures you might add in the future.

Where (approximately) are you located? I'm curious to see what types of creatures you might add in the future.

Australia, in the north, so, for example, coral grows in the cleaner waters nearby, with a few nice reef fish like clowns, tangs, and butterfly fish. Makes sense that something found in Singapore (like those orange hydroids) is also found here.

But to set expectations, my first fish for this tank are these humble, and extremely tiny, gobies. You can see from the aragonite gravel just how small they are.

IMG_6773.jpg

IMG_6775.jpg

I like the looks of this. I wish I was close enough to the ocean to get local critters and substrate

We are not allowed to collect coral or even, I think, sand. Hence I had to purchase the aragonite coral sand, which probably comes from halfway around the world.

We have some interesting rockpools and foreshore though.

So while I had the camera out I managed a picture of this snail. I believe it is one of the Cerithium genus. They litter the pools here and half the time have hermit crabs in the shells, rather than this, the original mollusc that built it.

IMG_6788.jpg

Australia, in the north, so, for example, coral grows in the cleaner waters nearby, with a few nice reef fish like clowns, tangs, and butterfly fish. Makes sense that something found in Singapore (like those orange hydroids) is also found here.

But to set expectations, my first fish for this tank are these humble, and extremely tiny, gobies. You can see from the aragonite gravel just how small they are.

View attachment 32395787

View attachment 32395788
That’s awesome. I’m jealous.

Those gobies are cool fish.

A picture of a hermit crab, who gratefully accepted my gift of a new empty shell, that was of a shape more easily carried around than the cerithium shell he was living in when I caught him.

IMG_6792.jpg

Just noticed the tank has a little bit of green/brown algae forming on some surfaces, and boy don't those Cerith snails make short work of it when they find it. I think I will add a couple more of them. I'll have to toddle off down to the shore at low tide and grab some more.

Back