55g flow question

volmek

I have a 55gallon reef setup. The tank has been running for 3 months. It's viewable from 3 sides, so the rock is standing in the middle giving a clearance of about 4" in the front and the back. I'm running a mag 7 as return pump, a koralia 3 besides the overflow and a koralia 4 on the opposite side. This seems like a little to much flow for some fish that won't swim in the open space on top like they do when I turn the pumps off. I'll be keeping a mixed reef with some acros and other corals that need good flow.

tank%20night.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a vortech. Maybe a MP10 and put it on the opposite side of the overflow. I would keep the koralia 3 and just run it for 3 periods a day of 2 hours each just to add more random flow. I know using them on a timer is not recommended but 3 starts a day... if the pumps last only 1 year that's fine with me, it's still cheaper then getting 2 vortech.

You thoughts are welcome.

I'll bump that thread since I did'nt get any reply. If you have a 55g setup, let me know what you're using for flow. Thanks

Back