6 Month update on 750g tank

o2manyfish

o2manyfish
First update for 2023. With all the crazy rains in So Cal we have had a few hiccups with all the outdoor tanks. Been dealing with those issues as I can in between some work, a cruise, and the weather. The outdoor frag tanks hadn't been touched in almost a year. They still had some fish in them and a handful of coral scraps. But the tanks were filthy with a layer of crap on the bottom.

Last week we emptied one tank, drained it down, razorbladed it, wet dry vacced it clean and then filled with clean salt water. We moved all the livestock into the clean tank and took the remaining dirty frag tank off line. But then the rain started coming down again before we had a chance to drain it.

Went to the Coral Farmers Market this weekend in Santa Ana with a very enthusiastic wife. She picked out a dozen + frags for herself. Plus my shopping and we ended up with almost 3 hours of mounting corals the following day.

The cabinetry for the tank and stand were finished as a birthday present to myself in January. On our vacation at the end of January we ordered a piece of art that we are hoping will be a nice finishing touch to the stand of the aquarium.

And here is the 6 month update of the 750g tank.

Looking good Dave! The tank looks amazing in person btw. My son was talking about it on our trip back home, he loved it. Thanks again for the plants! Can't wait to see it grow in more.

Dave love the canopy. Do you mind sharing how you built it or where you bought it? I got 3 mhs and been wanting to wrap them with some type of canopy same color as the stand for aesthetics.

tank is looking great! Did you ever do a comparison/review between the ECM and Abyzz canon pumps?

Dave love the canopy. Do you mind sharing how you built it or where you bought it? I got 3 mhs and been wanting to wrap them with some type of canopy same color as the stand for aesthetics.
The key part of the canopy is the motorized lift. I started with an AuxxLyft motorized lift system. It comes with a storage rack unit to suspend from it. I save a lil money and ordered it without the rack. I then bought a bunch of 8020 1.5" T-Slot and built a rack which hold the 12 Radion G6 Pros and their Power Supplies. The cabinet maker came in a built a 3 sided facade with a lip on the inside. The facade is made out of a special High Denisty marine plywood with a premiun finish. The wood was then covered white formica and laminated on all sides of the facade and the lip inside the facade.
When they came to install the lip just slid onto the top of the Tslot rack and it stayed place nice and secure. We still ran 8 screws threw the lip into the T-slot to lock it into place.

Dave B

tank is looking great! Did you ever do a comparison/review between the ECM and Abyzz canon pumps?

Yes did a great fun video between the two pumps. But my friend who shot the video's mom took a giant step back in her cancer battle and the friend hasn't had time to edit the video and get it back to me - which is totally understandable. But there is a video coming.

And now that we have been running the pumps for several months, going to do another video on the maintenance issues between the two pumps.

Dave B

The key part of the canopy is the motorized lift. I started with an AuxxLyft motorized lift system. It comes with a storage rack unit to suspend from it. I save a lil money and ordered it without the rack. I then bought a bunch of 8020 1.5" T-Slot and built a rack which hold the 12 Radion G6 Pros and their Power Supplies. The cabinet maker came in a built a 3 sided facade with a lip on the inside. The facade is made out of a special High Denisty marine plywood with a premiun finish. The wood was then covered white formica and laminated on all sides of the facade and the lip inside the facade.
When they came to install the lip just slid onto the top of the Tslot rack and it stayed place nice and secure. We still ran 8 screws threw the lip into the T-slot to lock it into place.

Dave B
Ahh I was thinking about how you'd do tank maintenance with such a low canopy. This is pretty awsome to have the motorized lift system will def have to look into it! The wood part I can build myself but might be a good investment. Thanks for the explanation Dave!

First update for 2023. With all the crazy rains in So Cal we have had a few hiccups with all the outdoor tanks. Been dealing with those issues as I can in between some work, a cruise, and the weather. The outdoor frag tanks hadn't been touched in almost a year. They still had some fish in them and a handful of coral scraps. But the tanks were filthy with a layer of crap on the bottom.

Last week we emptied one tank, drained it down, razorbladed it, wet dry vacced it clean and then filled with clean salt water. We moved all the livestock into the clean tank and took the remaining dirty frag tank off line. But then the rain started coming down again before we had a chance to drain it.

Went to the Coral Farmers Market this weekend in Santa Ana with a very enthusiastic wife. She picked out a dozen + frags for herself. Plus my shopping and we ended up with almost 3 hours of mounting corals the following day.

The cabinetry for the tank and stand were finished as a birthday present to myself in January. On our vacation at the end of January we ordered a piece of art that we are hoping will be a nice finishing touch to the stand of the aquarium.

And here is the 6 month update of the 750g tank.

Very nice!

Back