60 Gallon Cube flow help

OceanJack

Hi everyone,

I currently have a 60 Gallon cube set up right now. My intentions are a mixed reef, I've had it set up for about 8 months now and just have a few LPS corals but plan on adding some SPS.

Currently have a Mag 7 return pump that's rated for 700 GPH, I don't feel that it's really pushing that much and plan on upgrading eventually to something more efficient.

As of right now, I have two sunsun 500 GPH power heads as my single MP40 wetside cracked and is out to service with Ecotech. I should be getting that back in a week, it's got me to thinking....Should I just sell the MP40 and go with two Mp10s?

I had the MP40 on the back wall and I had to turn it down to about 40% on reef crest mode since it was throwing my elegance coral around. Can't seem to find a good place for it where the MP40 won't blow it around.

Should I just sell the MP40 and buy two MP10s instead?

I think 2 power heads is always better then 1. It allows you to better distribute flow and eliminate dead spots much easier. So my vote is get 2 mp10 instead. I run 2 on my 45g and am very happy with the results. I have some soft, lps, and sps. So far everyone seems happy and I believe they both peak at 50%.

I think that is the route I am going to go, the cube is awkward to get good flow in. so far the sunsuns are actually doing ok.

I just set up a sixty cube and have two Neptune WAV pumps on it. I think this tank will have a mix of anemones, mushrooms and LPS corals. Even all the way down, I'm afraid the two WAV pumps may be too much flow. I think the two MP10s are a good idea. Ultimately, if I'm not satisfied with the WAVs, that's probably the direction I'll go. If you do buy them, give us an update once they're up and running. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. I also wonder how one of the small gyres might work on a tank this size.

Matt

Back