60 Gallon SPS Build - Advice/Suggestions

Hentz

Hey guys. I just purchased a Crystal Dynamics (The old LeeMar guys) tank.

Its a 60 gallon tank (36x19x20) with a 30 gallon sump.

Since I'm upgrading, most of my SPS will be added to this tank, along with various others.

Equipment I have so far that will be transferred over:
24" 6-Bulb ATI Dimmable
MP10 x2
Apex Jr (Might upgrade to the full)

- I'll be running a Rio 1400 pump (came with the tank, I'll use it for now until later down the road.)

I have a PSK-75 HOB Skimmer I'm using on my Fusion 40 at the moment. This will definitely be upgraded. I've been looking at the Bubble Magus Curve 5.

So my plans, I think I'm going to throw the MP10's on the back and have an MP40 on the side of a tank. OR MP10's on the back, and a Gyre 130 on the side of the tank.

Also, what other equipment would you recommend for this tank?
I do plan on adding a sand bed. I do plan on stocking this tank heavy with fish. I may or may NOT do a refugium.

So far I've got:
2 Black Onyx Clownfish (my babies for the past 4 years)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Coris

I appreciate any and ALL advice guys!! Thank you!
I want to do this build right and make it amazing.

I have the BMC5 on about 90g total volume. It's the bomb man. Makes a bunch of stinky skimmate. So much so that I used an old pretzel container, drilled a hole in the lid, poured some bleach in it and routed the output hose from the cup to it.

My only complaint with the BMC5 is that the skimmer neck squeegee only fits the 7. So if you have the 5 like I do, your porked unless you grab a avast swabbie and mod it. The BMC7 will mate right up to their neck squeegee. I wish I had dropped a tad bit more cash on the 7 so I could have that option. The neck on mine needs cleaned every week. Actually it could stand more often but ain't nobody got time for dat.

You may want to do more than mp10s. If the output is anything like the RW4s I have, it won't be enough. I don't think I have enough flow in my 55 for sps. I have a monti cap near the top of the tank as an experiment. Now throw the gyre in there and it will probably be plenty.

I have the BMC5 on about 90g total volume. It's the bomb man. Makes a bunch of stinky skimmate. So much so that I used an old pretzel container, drilled a hole in the lid, poured some bleach in it and routed the output hose from the cup to it.

My only complaint with the BMC5 is that the skimmer neck squeegee only fits the 7. So if you have the 5 like I do, your porked unless you grab a avast swabbie and mod it. The BMC7 will mate right up to their neck squeegee. I wish I had dropped a tad bit more cash on the 7 so I could have that option. The neck on mine needs cleaned every week. Actually it could stand more often but ain't nobody got time for dat.

You may want to do more than mp10s. If the output is anything like the RW4s I have, it won't be enough. I don't think I have enough flow in my 55 for sps. I have a monti cap near the top of the tank as an experiment. Now throw the gyre in there and it will probably be plenty.

Thank you for your advice! I'll keep that in mind about the BMC7.

As for the MP10's, I'll forsure either have the MP40 as a main or the Gyre130. Still looking and debating!

good advice

good advice

I'm fairly new here and not an expert but I can tell you what has given me success with SPS. Two things: as much biological filtration as possible and reading posts from this site, especially anything by Randy Holmes-Farley. Most of his articles will answer just about anything to do with water quality.

Happy reefing!

Back