65 gallon build

bizzleb01

Ok, so I've been out of the hobby for about four years now and I'm looking to get back into it after the new year. I'm pretty set on a 65 gallon set up. I want it to be a mixed reef with LPS and some softies, but I also would like to try SPS for the first time. I need some help trying to figure equipment. LED was still really new when I got out, are they strong enough for SPS? Any info or suggestions are appreciated. Anything from lighting to sump and protein skimmers. Thanks

I got a really nice 65 from deep sea aquatics, specs are in my signature. A lfs in oldsmar ordered it for me. I use t5, but most leds out will grow whatever you want to keep.

I have a 65g with one Radion G3 and wide angle. I don't have a lot of SPS but the pieces that I have are doing fine.

I know Drysdale had a 65 corner drilled tank for sale for awhile. It was used and can't remember if it had the overflow box but it may be worth a look into depending on where you're located. I know there was also a 65 complete setup posted on the TBRC Facebook page a month or two ago so maybe try looking there.

So, I found my tank and I'm going to be picking it up on Sunday. It's just the tank, stand and canopy so I'm going to need to get all my other requests over the next couple of months. What's some equipment I should look at. First thing is I need a sump and pump. I want to do an external. What's a good gph for 65 gallons?

Woohoo. I picked up my tank last night and it's in better shape than I could have imagined. So excited to start adding equipment.

I need suggestions for a lighting fixture. I've got a 65g tank (36x24x18) and would like it to be a mixed reef with softies and SPS. LED or T5? And which fixtures do you guys recommend?

Reefbreeder makes a nice led if you want to go that route, however I'm having great coloring and growth with just a simple t5. Ati fixtures are great, I hope to upgrade to one soon.

Very heavy SPS, I would go 6, medium/mix, 4 will work. A Photo 32 is pretty good value considering what T5 bulbs cost but I run LED with T5 supplement on my 120. I think overall, find a good deal on a 4x39 used and you will be just fine. Just remember to change out bulbs on an interval that works for you. You can always change but T5s are pretty Tried and True. Of course, I was always a MH guy and I still do miss, but slowly but surely, they are fading as far as the "norm".

I agree the reef breeders seem to be the best long term value, however I would try a used t5 first. I only say that because I've had zoas that stretch like crazy for LED's but as soon as they get under t5 the shorten their extension and get a bigger diameter.

I had a 4x80, I believe, T5 set DIY with an Icecap 660 on my 90 gallon about 5 years ago. I liked them but just didn't know how the LEDs are. I found a very cheap 6x39 no name fixture on ebay and amazon but am kind of weary of buying something so cheap.

I had a 4x80, I believe, T5 set DIY with an Icecap 660 on my 90 gallon about 5 years ago. I liked them but just didn't know how the LEDs are. I found a very cheap 6x39 no name fixture on ebay and amazon but am kind of weary of buying something so cheap.

I went down that road a few months ago with my lights as I was tired of looking at a dark tank cycle. Ended up getting a broken light. I emailed the seller and they handled it well. Sent me a new fixture and told me to keep the old one. Used the old one as a tester for some mods like installing new fans. Now they both work and are better than when I got them haha.

I'm stoked, the equipment is coming together faster than I was expecting. I got an Eshopps R-100 sump, Waveline dc-6000 (on the way) and I ordered my Reefbreeders Photon 32 today. Hopefully I'll be getting a Reef Octopus NWB110 in the coming week. Then I'll be able to get my sand and some rock to get this baby started.

Finally some pics.
20141220_151335.jpg.html
20141228_144326.jpg.html
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Back