65g new build

newfly

Hi all,

I am not exactly new to the hobby, but novice compare to the folks here. Kept a FOWLR tank with 2 clown fish for 15 years. The pair finally died ( i think its old age) recently. I have a 15G . I know its very small for 2 clown, but hey, they seems to do OK for so long. I now have 2 green chromis and a neon dottyback for 2 months now. Seems to be doing well. Minimum aggression. I was worry about the dottyback, but he leave the chromis alone most of the time. Occasionally i see the chromis picking on each other, nothing major. Feed Hikari Marine S, Freeze dry mysis, and occasionally bay brine shrimp. They eat like a pig.

I am planning to upgrade from the 15g to a larger tank. Waterbox AIO looks interesting to me. Not ready for a sump yet, so AIO fit my needs better.

Here is my fish and equipment plan for the upgrade:

Waterbox 60.5 AIO
Tunze 9012 DC Skimmer
Sicce Syncra Pro 550gph return
haven't decided on the lights, but since i don;t plan on corals, light is just for aesthetic.
Might add a couple of powerhead for flow. What size/flow rate should i target for? The Waterbox is 48 long.

I have about 10-15Lb of live rock and maybe 10-20lb of live sand in the current setup. I plan to add 40lb of dry marcorock and as much sand to make a 1-2 inch sand bed.

Fish stock:

2 Chromis ( existing)
1 neon dottyback ( existing)
2 Clown
1 Klien butterflyfish
1 watchman gobby

I haven't buy anything yet, this is just a plan on paper. Do you think this will work?

I don't have plans (at least in the immediate future) to add corals. This is likely remains FOWLR forever.

Appreciate any feedback.

I haven't kept a Klein butterfly, so I can't comment there, but the rest of your fish will be fine (actually, I'm surprised you still have two Chromis - IME, with anything less than five, I eventually ended up with only one).

I'd get a Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus sp) to go along with the Watchman Goby, as I love the interaction.

You might also consider an Ecotech MP 40, rather than powerheads for water movement. It's definitely more expensive, but I've found that having powerheads in the tank can be a pain (to clean/maintain, especially if/when you want them out of sight and they end up behind the rockwork).

FWIW,
Kevin

Back