6g reef

Butter,
Why not a small goby and shrimp combo? Actually, I would leave that small of a tank to the more experienced reefer. Even then, they can be very demanding. But, give it a try and see if you have the hands for it. Good luck and happy Reefing.

Hello I'm new to the saltwater hobby. And I want to start out small. So one of my friends gave me a 6g fluval edge with filters and a heater. In the I would like to keep, 2 occelaris clowns, and 1 white banded possum wrasse. I will also have a assortment of coral, and live rock. And maybe some kinds of invert or crusts. I don't want any criticism about the fish. I just want to what else I'll need.

Troll

Geeze, people are harsh here. I started with a 14 gallon biocube after being in the freshwater hobby. It was a GREAT little tank to learn with. I had some nice fish(you CAN keep fish in a tank that size) and the maintenance was easy. At that time I was even hand topping off.

Now I have an 8 gallon. It's a little more of a challenge but still pretty easy. Go check out the nano section, it's great to see what people can do with these small tanks.

I eventually ended up with a 65 gallon and I actually found it much more difficult(and expensive) to deal with. I just scaled back to a 34 gallon and couldn't be happier.

Geeze, people are harsh here. I started with a 14 gallon biocube after being in the freshwater hobby. It was a GREAT little tank to learn with. I had some nice fish(you CAN keep fish in a tank that size) and the maintenance was easy. At that time I was even hand topping off.

Now I have an 8 gallon. It's a little more of a challenge but still pretty easy. Go check out the nano section, it's great to see what people can do with these small tanks.

I eventually ended up with a 65 gallon and I actually found it much more difficult(and expensive) to deal with. I just scaled back to a 34 gallon and couldn't be happier.

+1

I hope the 8 is your quarantine and the 34 has only one goby and maybe a shrimp. Otherwise you're a bad person.

You should take some criticism ( or not ask ) as these folks are only trying to help you have success.
Your livestock dying will cost more than a 20 gallon tank.

Every last bit of truth, in my 29 which is my first tank, I have a tailspot blenny, a small wrasse, a lawn mower blenny, and 2 clowns. I got the law mower because I have algae problems and one worked for my brother. This is pushing it with my stock so be careful as to what you get. When I was a begginner I thought it was going to be easy, how wrong I was. I did almost no research and just stuffed a bunch of fish into my tank. This killed all of them. Do lots of research on every little thing about your tank and the live stock you choose to put in it. The better prepared you are, the less problems you will have. This is my story and I hope it helps you in your future tank endevours.

Last edited:
if you're just quarantining them, they'll be fine. but they won't be fine long term in that size tank. think of it this way. if someone put a human couple in a 10 foot by 10 foot room, and give them food everyday, they'll survive. but they'll be so stressed out and might not live their full lives. jmo. :)

This sounds odd... I have a 16g. My fish are a clown and a blue/green chromis. I do not plan adding anymore fish BUT I have to point out that my clown occupies a really small space of the tank. Like 1/3 of it. He swims in one corner and will only go to the other side of the tank ONLY if I drop food in this part of the tank. And even then he prefers to wait the MP10 to blow it to his side of the tank.
I am no expert but this whole thing "don't put fish in such a small tank" is getting on my nerves.
A couple weeks ago I was at a fellow reefers house to get some corals. This guy has a fantastic 600L tank with all sorts of tangs and other fish in it.
He has also set up a super small tank, probably 12-15L and he has a pair of clowns in there. These fish are also triple the size of my clown. I asked how they were doing in such a small space and he told me they are doing great in there. Been there for more than a year...
To the point: It might be "cruel" to put them in such a small space but isn't it cruel to put any fish in any tank?
Nothing, even the biggest of tanks can replicate the vast space of the ocean.
I also have to note that A LOT of people who have the "right" tank (in terms of volume), keep many tangs in overstuffed aquariums where there is hardly any space for the fish to swim. These fish are thriving in there. Yet when the owner of a smaller tank puts a tang in there he will get criticised.... Anyway. I think you should do whatever you want to do.

Last edited:
This sounds odd... I have a 16g. My fish are a clown and a blue/green chromis. I do not plan adding anymore fish BUT I have to point out that my clown occupies a really small space of the tank. Like 1/3 of it. He swims in one corner and will only go to the other side of the tank ONLY if I drop food in this part of the tank. And even then he prefers to wait the MP10 to blow it to his side of the tank.
I am no expert but this whole thing "don't put fish in such a small tank" is getting on my nerves.
A couple weeks ago I was at a fellow reefers house to get some corals. This guy has a fantastic 600L tank with all sorts of tangs and other fish in it.
He has also set up a super small tank, probably 12-15L and he has a pair of clowns in there. These fish are also triple the size of my clown. I asked how they were doing in such a small space and he told me they are doing great in there. Been there for more than a year...
To the point: It might be "cruel" to put them in such a small space but isn't it cruel to put any fish in any tank?
I also have to note that A LOT of people who have the "right" tank (in terms of volume), keep many tangs in overstuffed aquariums where there is hardly any space for the fish to swim. These fish are thriving in there. Yet when the owner of a smaller tank puts a tang in there he will get criticised.... Anyway. I think you should do whatever you want to do.

You are just making it worse by putting them in a small tank.

i just stated my opinion. you could see jmo(just my opinion) in the end of the paragraph. i didn't catch the fish out of the ocean. most of the clowns are tank bred nowadays. they're already in the small tanks in fish stores. even if i quit this hobby, there'll still be fishes in the small tanks in fish stores. so after you decide to bring them home, wouldn't putting them in a larger tank be better for them? what's the point of stating minimum tank size requirements in online fish stores and on forums if the tank size doesn't matter? anyway, that's just my opinion. you don't need to "get it on your nerves". it's your money and your fish. you could do anything you want with it. i'm not a "tang police" nor in this case a "clown police". :D good luck.

Back