730g In-Wall Display

Sounds like a great plan. :) This new aquarium, I think, might make the house a little harder to sell, although the right buyer might fall in love with it. :)

Regardless, historically, real estate is the very best place that someone can place their wealth. Sure, over the past couple of years that hasn't been true (it would have been much better for someone to have had their wealth in gold for example), but I believe that from now to a decade from now, it's going to be real estate again... Particularly if you can find real estate that's in a growing middle to upper class neighborhood with lower property taxes.

That said, of course, that's just my opinion... But it sounds like y'all are doing a great thing. :)
Actually, it's not a problem at all, and would be a very simple $1000 fix to knock down the freestanding room that will be built in the garage, pull the tank, drywall over the hole where the tank was, and repaint the walls. This was all discussed at great length with out realtor in regards to creating a negative selling feature, and he said not a chance because it's not at all like putting in a swimming pool.

*jealous* :D Wow, man, that's awesome...
Thank you. :)

Wow... Yeah, it sounds like you're doing a great job taking advantage of market trends in 2010.

I really like your thought process. :) This may be our generation's last hope of financial stability...
Over the years I've made just about every possible financial mistake in regards to investments and business interests, but through all of them I have paid very close attention to where things went wrong and have focused on learninig from my mistakes as well as the mistakes of others'. First and foremost, I have to protect my mother-in-law's (and my wife's) inheritance in the most sound manner possible which meant removing their money from low-yield CD's and making it work for us. By that, what I'm most specifically referring to is why keep a couple hundred thousand dollars in a bank that isn't even going to pay 3% interest, only to have to turn around and borrow from that same bank at a rate of 4-6%..? It's not practical thinking until you realize that you can PAY YOURSELF back the difference in interest and gain all of the benefits of doing so in the process.

Sure, we can't deduct interest payments from our tax returns, but we'll never have paid a dime in interest either, so we're the obvious winners in the long run. Based on a standard 5% 30-year fixed rate mortgage, if I were to have borrowed $150k, I would have paid an additional $140k in interest alone! :eek2:

Since I maintain a home office, we can also write-off a specific amount of the house for business use, so we'll see that gain too.

I'm at a point in life where everything that we do simply has to be viewed as being a "business decision" in one form or another, and even more so now that we have Cathy's Mom to take care of since she's elderly and disabled.

In regards to the real estate market trends, they are currently at their lowest with all indicators leaning towards a slow rise towards recovery due mostly to "investors" doing precisely what we've just done. I know so many people that have pulled the lions share of thei money from weak ibnvestments and have been buying up foreclosures and flipping them lately because earning a quick 10% on an investment is far superior to waiting and hoping for long-term gains that likely won't be there any time soon... Especially with the current political trend of government taking over businesses and placing us one step closer to "Bank Holiday" with every step they take.

-Tim

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The first braces for the stand were secured to the inside garage wall this evening, and the headers (already assembled) will be installed on Saturday. To make matters worse, I decided to go ahead with the new roof earlier this week, so we currently have 3 major construction projects taking place at one time. We've only owned this place for a month, but I'm pretty sure that my neighbors want to kill me already!

My garage is such a mess from drywall and sawdust right now, that my new 2-day old motorcycle is currently residing in our foyer while my other bike remains garaged at our other house a couple blocks away.

I'll have pics of de-construction and construction progress up by the end of the weekend, but in the interim here's my newest ride. ;)

NV88154_1.jpg

-Tim

UPDATE:

My garage is such a mess from drywall and sawdust right now, that my new 2-day old motorcycle is currently residing in our foyer while my other bike remains garaged at our other house a couple blocks away.

Poor baby... :D

Dude, nice new ride! :) Congratulations... :)

I don't feel sorry for you that you're getting all of this stuff done... :)

I'm excited that I got some new, cool stuff done to my truck (she's earned it many times over - it's about time to give her some attention) and that I just got all of my bank bottles back from the painter's... They're now freshly hydroed, oxygen clean, and freshly painted with a super-hard enamel that looks fantastic for the Man Cave. :D I'm ordering more lines/hoses/parts today, and within a week or two my new fill station/control panel/compressor/bank system will be finally complete! It's very exciting... :)

I'll be doing a ton of traveling over the next couple of months - sold an AirBerth in NJ, and two in Florida... And I also have to get back down there again to visit friends that I neglected on our recent trip when we did our cruise.

Kym's taken this totally unexpected interest in motorcycles... Looks like she's taking the MSF course sometime over the next month or two... And then it's back into that lifestyle for me... And "into the lifestyle" for the first time for her. Maybe we could meet up at the Dragon sometime... :)

I can't wait to see the pictures. Sure would like to see the mess... :)

I'll go ahead and post a few pix today...

This bike will primarily be for Cathy, since she's taken an interest in riding and has signed up for a MSF class the last weekend of this month. Once she's successfully completed her class, she'll have a shiny new bike waiting at home for her. :)

It's a 2009 Suzuki GS500F, but never under estimate the performance capabilities of a "small" bike, because it will stand straight up if you let it! I've been breaking it in for the past couple of days, and I'm incredibly impressed with it so far.

Last week when I stopped by the dealer to inquire about this bike, the sales manager started laughing and said that Suzuki pretty much forced him to take one the day before and that it would be the very first GS500F that the shop had ever ordered. I told him depending upon the cost and color, that I would take it but that it would most likely be a month before I could buy it since I planned on paying ca$h. He said the colorwas the grey & black instead of the popular blue & white, and since I wanted the grey & black I told him to consider it a done deal..!

This past Tuesday I stopped back in with the intention of putting a large deposit on the bike, and he informed me that it had just arrived and was strill sitting crated in the back parking lot, so we walked back and took a look at it... At that point he informed me that my cost was his cost since he wasn't having to sit on it and also because I was a good customer having bought my last bike there 2 years ago with a ton of accessories and then sent him several new customers. MSRP is $5500, and I paid $4200 with no freight or setup fees. His actual cost was $4227, but I told him that since I had to wait around an hour while they built it, that he was getting into MY time, so I refused to pay a penny over $4200... Becausr the price was so good, I went ahead and wrote the check in full then rode the bike home.

Business has veen very slow at my local dealer (Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha) but they are awesome guys, so if you and Kym decide to buyt new bikes, let me get price quotes for ya. There are a ton of 1 and 2 year old crotch rockets and cruisers sitting on the floor that they would love to do some serious wheeling and dealing on, before the 2011's begin to arrive. the best deals will be on Suzuki's since they didn't release any 2010 bikes. This means that the new 09's on the floor are now 2 year olds and the 08's are 3. That's seriously bad news for dealers on floor plan, which is obviously why they did what they did for me since they had just been force-fed another new 09.

BTW: Instead of The Dragon, you guys should come over here for a few days to dive Bonne Terre Mine and then ride our roads, which are pretty much ALL like The Dragon! ;)

-Tim

Last edited:
The section of wall behind the bike in the last pic above is where the tank will be. It will be butted up against the edge of the garage wall, so as to be recessed and framed in 4" from the foyer. The bottom inside sill plate will be granite.

When my contractor gets back out here later this afternoon, I'll see if he'll chalk or tape in a reference box which will provide reference and scale until the wall is cut out.

-Tim

BTW: Instead of The Dragon, you guys should come over here for a few days to dive Bonne Terre Mine and then ride our roads, which are pretty much ALL like The Dragon! ;)

318 curves in 11 miles? C'mon... I don't believe it. :)

Bonne Terre got face time in this month's Sport Diver magazine. :) Looks like a very cool dive.

Also, Scubaboard is hosting some sort of treasure hunt there... Supposed to be a pretty big deal. :D Maybe we should meet up there...

Tonight my contractor put in the frame for the tank and added the upright supports which are 5x5 posts. I then moved the water heater and cut & sweat a lot of 3/4" copper while he made a stand to put the water heater on. It's s now on the wall between the yelllow insulation (left) and the gargare door opener (right) in the pic below...

mini-DSC_8550.JPG

Thanks. :)

Here's a few pics that I just took... The 130" tank length can be seen by the runner boards that are bolted to the wall that will be cut out within the next day or so.

mini-DSC_8553.JPG

mini-DSC_8554.JPG

mini-DSC_8555.JPG

mini-DSC_8556.JPG

The roofers finished up today (Thank GOD!), and the header was installed in the wall where the tank will be. The wal wasn't cut all the way through, but it was perforated when removing the studs. We also decided at the last minute to make the opening wider that the initial 96 inches, so it will now be 115"... The tank is 130", so that still leaves me with the edge effect I was wanting. :)

mini-DSC_8558.JPG

mini-DSC_8559.JPG

mini-DSC_8560.JPG

mini-DSC_8561.JPG

mini-DSC_8562.JPG

mini-DSC_8563.JPG

In the image below, you'll see where the viewing port was originally going to be, but now we've decided to extend it out to the inner edges of the uprights on the right edge of the header, rather than the inside uprights, so they will need to be removed.

There's also a post in the middle of the tank stand that still needs to be removed, that holds up a door header from the water heater closet.

mini-DSC_8578.JPG

Back