730g In-Wall Display

Not a concern at all, since the tank wil be recessed 4" into the wall... The front of the tank will be flush to the inside of the garage wall. I'll also be installing a floor mounted half-dome commercial door stop too, just to protect the door from the granite ledge.

Everyone locally that knows about this build has said the same thing though in regards to the door stop. :lmao:

-Tim

We're definately beginning to see progress on the stand & fish room. It's slow because my contractor buddy can only work a couple of hours a day a few days a week because he's working elsewhere... I'm hoping for a lot more progress after Saturday though.

Also, most all of the equipment arrived today, so my living room is packed with boxes of everything from valves & pumps to ballasts & bulbs. :)

-Tim

mini-DSC_8583.JPG

mini-DSC_8584.JPG

mini-DSC_8586.JPG

Grauitous new bike pic... ;)

mini-DSC_8585.JPG

Great stuff! Love the bike shot... New bikes are always so pretty, hunh? :)

I see that you couldn't do without the saddlebags... :D

Great stuff! Love the bike shot... New bikes are always so pretty, hunh? :)

I see that you couldn't do without the saddlebags... :D
It's not just the sport-bags, because I also replaced the windshield with a taller one and added frame-sliders... I'm also very seriously looking at a new 2009 GSX-R 600... The really sexy white one pictured below. :dance:

Aside from the Seca Turbo 20+ years ago, I've never owned an all-out rocket before!

80060009_GSX-R600K9_White_ss.jpg

Too much power and I would die... Trust me!

Besides, my wife insists that a new bike last week was enough, and that I don't need 3 of them. I assured her that she's 100% correct, because if all goes well by the end of the summer or fall, I will also be adding either a Honda ST1300 or a Kawasaki Voyager-1700 to the stable. ;)

Too much power and I would die... Trust me!

Besides, my wife insists that a new bike last week was enough, and that I don't need 3 of them. I assured her that she's 100% correct, because if all goes well by the end of the summer or fall, I will also be adding either a Honda ST1300 or a Kawasaki Voyager-1700 to the stable. ;)

Nice. I would of recommended the R1, but it's not called the Widow Maker for nothing. A 'busa is a good bike, but why buy a 'busa when you can buy an R1 :D

Now get to work, I need some inspiration for my build :D

The Busa is waaaaaay too much bike for me... I would die before I ever got out of my driveway! I used to own a '82 Seca Turbo (only made in 82 & 83) and I found myself backing off at 165 about the same time my smile wrapped all the way around my head and my lips touched the back of my neck. :D

There's a local guy that is in his mid-70's that rides an R1, and is forever spanking the college kids in street races. Seriously, this guy shows up at all the "kid" hangouts and conjures up races, then spanks em all.

I'm in my mid-40's, so the need for speed isn't there anymore. I just want a bad-azz play bike.

In regards to the build, the drywall and fiberglass board was supposed to have been delivered today for my contractor to do some serious work over the weekend, but Lowes screwed up and it didn't get out on the truck. This will set us back several days, and I'm not too happy about it because I'm afraid the tank will be here next week and we won't be ready for it. :(

Last edited:
It's a bit smaller (so is the price), but the Honda NT700V is really sexy too. It's essentially the love-child of a Silver Wing and the ST-1300...

honda-nt700v-5_1024x0w.jpg

Yeah, I was looking at the VFR1200 for Kym and I.

I owned VFRs for years in the mid and late 90's. The '99 VFR800 that I owned was pretty much the best VFR ever made - and a beautiful, silky, sexy red. :) I put 30,000 miles on that bike before planting it under a car that made an unscheduled left in front of me.

The insurance company totaled the bike out (this was in 2000), and I bought a CBR1100XX '99 "leftover" for a smokin' deal. That bike was everything that the VFRs were always hoping to be, but better. By far, that was the silkiest, smoothest, nicest bike I've ever had. I thought I would miss the V4 engine, but with almost 1200cc's in the twin-counterbalanced XX's engine, there was more torque everywhere, plus the top end of an inline four.

At altitude in Arizona, the XX's superior fuel injection system, fully-automated fuel enrichening system, and ignition and fuel maps were so much better than anything else on the market that, bone stock, the XX was faster, smoother, and more predictable than even the "newcomer" - the '99 Hayabusa. All of the magazines were saying how much faster the new 'Busa was (which quickly developed a following that continues to this day), but the bottom line is that it wasn't... But I had to spank a lot of 'Busa owners before they'd put any credibility in the notion. :)

At sea level, the Busa would take my XX occassionally, so I spent some time with full exhaust systems and working with Dynojet in Vegas to improve the XX's engine when equipped with a freer-flowing exhaust. They did most of this work for free, since the XX was a relatively unusual bike and prior to working on mine, they didn't have a map for the XX.

I also began to play with the bike's weight - changing some suspension components (to get a fully adjustable ride) and removing things here and there to lighten her up. In effect, I was able to cut her overall dry weight by about 60 or 70 pounds, while keeping her amazing geometry and incredible power. She got sexier, too... Losing weight and getting narrower and lighter-looking always seems to do that. :D

Not long before I sold her I installed a Whipplecharger - a sort of rotary supercharger. The charger had two boost settings, which were constant across the rpm range, unlike a turbocharger. The higher boost settings required that the bike run on aviation fuel (104-107 octane), but the lower setting would allow you to run high-test gasoline, which is what I did.

In Daytona Beach, 2000, my XX dynoed 202hp at the rear wheel on gasoline, and 247hp at the rear wheel on aviation fuel... Consistently, perfectly, like a stock motor.

The bike consistently ran 9.2's and 9.5's in the quarter mile - and once set a world speed record at Black Rock at 207 mph. That was BEFORE the Whipplecharger. :D I rode her home - the record was set with headlights and blinkers in place and with street tires on the bike. :) What's even more amazing is that "home" was in Tucson - about 650 miles away. She made as comfortable a highway bike as she did a desert screamer.

Let me tell you how amazing the Joshua Forest (desert) in Arizona looks at a leisurely 170 mph cruise at night... With the Milky Way galaxy lighting the sky up like it was daytime. Ahhhhh... So relaxing! :)

Alas, my 'Bird, too, bit the dust... This time on a racetrack in Savannah, where I was racing it one weekend. I replaced her with a Hayabusa, which I kept bone-stock. Yeah, the bike was fast, too, but not nearly as fast as a modded 'Bird, and totally missing all of the fit and finish that is the hallmark of Honda. Effectively, I traded my XX for a slower, rougher, less-quality machine that was a lot less comfortable to ride. My 'Bird had 64,000 miles on it in just under 3 years - I had gone through 17 rear tires and 9 front tires in that amount of time. :D The 'Busa? Well, I seriously considered modding it, too, but it seemed that no matter what I could do to it, someone else had me topped, and... Well... I just wasn't into that scene. I just wanted to go faster. :)

Anyway... My point is that I am a HUGE shoe-in for the VFR1200... For a decade now, I have waited for Honda to "up the ante" and make a CBR1300 or CBR1400 to match the Hayabusa's massive motor. In fact, I was waiting for it in '99 when the 'Busa was first introduced. Even then, there were rumors of a single-sided swingarm CBR1300XX with radical aerodynamics set to once again set new speed records. Even now, I'd be first in line at the stealerships for one of those bikes.

The VFR1200? It kills me to say it, but Honda went the wrong direction on the bike. ABS/Linked brakes is about as "techy" as we need. Kill the digital gauges, too... They're overdone, too "Tron-ish" and difficult to read when you're traveling the length of a football field in less than a second. The single-sided swingarm is cool, but unnecessary. The shaft drive - with perfected geometry - is awesome, and totally a move in the right direction.

...But the style of the bike - historically, the most important part of selling any motorcycle - is horrible. Boy, did they miss the mark on this one. What needs to happen now is Honda needs to hire Boyd Coddington for a styling makeover. This bike needs to be low, simple, wide, and just dripping with paint and speed. She needs to be the hotrod of sportbikes, and she needs to do it with grace and poise and simplicity than no other bike has. Look no further than the Hayabusa customizers to see the direction that the bike needs to go - we don't need, and have never needed, automatic transmissions, bikes 150 pounds overweight, stock exhaust pipes that look like a board room designer's nightmare, and variable intakes, # of cylinders running, VTEC, or any other whiz-bangery. We do not care that the bike gets 45 mpg instead of 35 mpg... Both of those numbers are so much better than the 12 mpg we're getting in our trucks that we simply don't care.

...What we do care about is the sheer performance available in the bike, and that can be interpreted as acceleration, top end, or flickability... The latter being the most popular with most motorcyclists (but not with me!). We also care about the fact that the bike positively DRIPS with sexy, sultry lines. The visuals of the bike are Ducati's and MV's only reason for existence, after all (why else would anyone pay two or three times the amount for a bike that breaks down two or three times as often?).

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the looks is probably the only reason why the R1 took off like it did. Well, that and the fact that the magazines totally loved the machine. It's like they couldn't get enough of it. But what makes the R1 such a great track machine makes it a horrible street bike, which explains why a lot of them today never earn more than 2,000 or 3,000 miles. They're horrible to ride every day, and that's all there is to it. After 40 minutes on the "torture rack" (as we used to call any street-legal open classer), people were begging us to ride our "couches" - the XX's and the 'Busas - which were longer, faster, smoother, more powerful, and yes, more comfortable. Why buzz along at 70 mph when you could "fly high" and set the throttle lock at 120 mph? All without a buzz, a head shake, or any drama at all. It was like gliding in space.

Anyway, yeah, all Honda needed to do was grab a Blackbird, hand it to Boyd Coddington for style, and up the cc's to about 1500 (set a new bar). It would have been a bonus if the bike came with shaft drive (not totally necessary), and a VFR800-inspired single-sided swingarm would have been nice.

Is the new VFR1200 what I've described above? Well... The drivetrain is... But the rest completely missed the mark. Clearly, Honda has no idea what this market segment wants in a bike.

...And they need to DEFINE the class - I get tired of hearing them called "sport tourers." An ST1300 is a "sport tourer." This is called a "GT" bike - in effect, a really large sportbike, for really large roads.

It kills me that my beloved Honda clearly made a bike that would be "right up my alley"... Clearly, made just for me... But they missed the mark completely.

I'm seriously disappointed. :( And I've waited a decade! :(

Honda: Give Boyd Coddington a '99XX and an 1800cc Gold Wing motor. Tell him that you want something half "Route 66" and half "Cafe Racer" - a sort of American version of the European Cafe Racers. Tell him that it's got to be fully faired, a sportbike (please, no cruisers - we're all cruisered out) and designed to run from 'Vegas to LA and back as quickly as possible. It should be light, long, gorgeous, simple, and powerful... And set a new performance bar that's so significant that the bike will be an instant legend.

I want GPS (with GPS speedo - no need to have a mechanical speedo) and a built-in mp3 player. Just give me an SD card slot and a 3mm headphone jack, and I'm good to go (please, no speakers or communications systems on the bike). It'd be nice if the bike had a little storage, too - no bags, but maybe a couple of cubic inches of space hidden in the bike like some Waverunners have in them. Now make the thing hit 250 mph and sell it for about $13k or $14k, and you'll have reinvented the concept of motorcycling.

Last edited:
You do realize that you've just described a ZX14 don't you..? :D

FWIW: I thought Kawasaki was crazy for scrapping their legacy Concours and rebuilding it on the new Ninja ZX14 platform, but as you've stated, the industry (ie: consumers) demanded it.

I do think that what Honda was striving to build however was something that actually doens't fit any other niche, because the VFR1200 is neither a Rocket nor a Sport-Tourer... Could they actually be closing in on the BMW sector of the market..? They just might be, because purely from as asthetics and drivetrain point of view they edged much closer than anyone else at this point. I agree that there are far too many Cruisers and Crotch Rockets out there already, and Honda & BMW dominate the Sport-Tour category though BMW has further broken down that market into sub-categories.

As for the DN-01, I don't have a clue as to what Honda was thinking because if you want a motorcycle you should be required to know how to shift the damn thing! My wife keeps stating that that's what she ultimately wants because she's afraid of having to shift, so I posed a scenario that involved the dire need to drop a gear or two in order to be able to haul azz out of a "danger zone". She didn't quite grasp the concept of down-shifting in order to increase your torque and maneuverability over just stopping, until I explained what happens when you lok up your wheels and begin sliding. The difference is in those split-second calculations and decisions that your brain computes at the very moment that you realilze that if you don't make the CORRECT decision, it will be a closed casket funeral for obvious reasons! 9 times out of 10 you're so much further ahead to just punch it down twice and give it a full twist, but you cannot do that with an automatic bike. Carol Shelby doesn't design cars with Automatic Transmissions, so why would anyone even conceive of putting one on a bike..?

-Tim

You do realize that you've just described a ZX14 don't you..?

Yeah, and I've drooled on several of them. To boot, they're the only GT bike with a "sportbike" front fairing. The 'Busa and the 'Bird are both elongated "penetrator" style fairings... Which I didn't like when I first saw them in '98 or so (in fact, I used to comment that the 'Busa looked like a condom with it's receptable end). However, the elongated fairing has grown on me. It definitely improves high-speed aerodynamics.

The '14's aeros might be so good that it doesn't need the "elongated" look... While still maintaining a "sportbike" appearance. I certainly like the "abreast" headlights (sportbikeish) over the "stacked" style of the 'Busa and the XX.

...So yeah, the '14 is definitely something else... I have drooled over it quite a bit.

The problem with them is that they're Kawasakis, man. Of the four big Japanese makers, it's perhaps the Kawis that are the least quality... And I'm a big stickler for quality. I don't expect to get the same smooth, powerful glide out of the ZX-14 as I have gotten out of the XX.

I need to ride one. :) They're probably the closest thing to what I'm describing as there's going to be.

I HATE the strakes, though. :) Why couldn't they make a CBR1400XX?

I do think that what Honda was striving to build however was something that actually doens't fit any other niche, because the VFR1200 is neither a Rocket nor a Sport-Tourer... Could they actually be closing in on the BMW sector of the market..?

Oh, no doubt! Before I bought the VFR I had a BMW K1200RS... Also a great bike... And single-sided swingarm with shaft drive. In that way, the VFR1200 is very much like the BMW.

Like the BMW, though, it's exceedingly heavy and very pricey... And outperformed by a lot of bikes half it's price.

I have had several BMWs - bikes, cars, etc... My scuba compressors are Bauers, which are made nearby. I don't know what the deal is with that area, but I personally believe that the build quality is low and the materials that they are using are of lesser quality than the materials that Honda uses. Sure, the German stuff is hand made, but seemingly fragile and showing age prematurely. The "assembly line," "perfection," and "computer designed" implications of the Japanese stuff seems much better built to me.

...So I don't get excited about BMWs any more - and I don't think it's a great market that Honda has gone after. I feel like it's a step DOWN from what they normally are after.

...Now, if Honda only made a scuba compressor... :D

They just might be, because purely from as asthetics and drivetrain point of view they edged much closer than anyone else at this point.

No doubt!

...Not like BMW's styling was all that great - I don't think it's something that Honda should have done.

Personally, I think the best looking bikes on the road at the moment are the Yamaha R1's and R6's and the entire line of Suzuki sportbikes. That's what Honda should have gone after.

...Or better yet, stayed on track with what was their market share. :)

As for the DN-01, I don't have a clue as to what Honda was thinking because if you want a motorcycle you should be required to know how to shift the damn thing!

Yeah, with scooters getting bigger and bigger every year, I always felt that the big difference between motorcycles and scooters was the automatic transmission typically offered in scooters. For Honda to make their motorcycles more "scooter-like" is a step in the wrong direction, I think!

Thankfully, the VFR1200 is offered with a standard, six-speed transmission as well. :)

My wife keeps stating that that's what she ultimately wants because she's afraid of having to shift, so I posed a scenario that involved the dire need to drop a gear or two in order to be able to haul azz out of a "danger zone".

Hmmmm... Has she ridden a sportbike lately? Firstly, the latest batch of them have power everywhere, so it's not like she doesn't have amazing power on tap at all times anyway. But if the need to raise the front wheel off of the ground presents itself in order to "git," the process happens literally in the blink of an eye. Unlike a car transmission, the clutch isn't necessary, either - no synching required. It's like, "pop" and GO!

That said, I always used the clutch to help keep the bike planted on the ground during the shift... Smooth always pays when handling a really big bike with a lot of power. :)

Carol Shelby doesn't design cars with Automatic Transmissions, so why would anyone even conceive of putting one on a bike..?

-Tim

'Xactly. :) It'd take a good bit of fun out of it. :)

I'll go check out a ZX14 this week. If it's a typical Kawasucki motor, though, it's power will be impressive, but it's delivery will be a little too goonish for my tastes.

I even thought about going literbike... Maybe a new CBR1000RR? God help me... :)

No, no... No... (Shakes head.) I will NOT lower myself to rides of an hour or less. :)

I want a bike that feels like this: http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/old/songs/home.mp3

(Trying to keep Tim distracted from the fact that his house is currently in shambles, and is behind schedule.) :D

Hey! Tim! Don't pay any attention to the comment above... :D

Check out the road that was in my backyard when I lived in Arizona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7othJw6-uOY

Oh, GOD, do I miss AZ... :( I rode that mountain - top to bottom - an altitude change of almost two miles - virtually every day. :) Man, do I miss that...

Need to go back...

Notice the music difference between that soundtrack and the one I posted above? That's the difference between the mindset of a sportbike rider and the mindset of a GT bike rider. :) ...And when the sportbike rider got to the top of the mountain, he wanted to park and talk about the curves with his buddies. The GT bike rider simply turned around and headed back DOWN the mountain for another pass... And when he hit the bottom, he opened the bike up in the desert (seeing if he could nudge 200) and headed over to the NEXT mountain to do it again. :)

Meanwhile, the Gold Wing riders were just entering New Mexico, pulling their trailers. And the Harley riders were on their 5th beer at the local dive bar. :) And the BMW riders were at any of the above places, seeing as they had no one group that actually accepted them, nor any one group that actually didn't think that they belonged at all. :)

...And yes, the sky really is that blue in Tucson. :)

Last edited:
SeaJay -- My wife has never driven a bike, but will be taking the MSF class at the end of the month. She has just always been very afraid of having to learn to shift and has therefore never even driven a standard car. I bought the new GS500F for her, because of it's size and the position of the controls. It's actually one of, if not the highest rated "beginner" bikes on the market today. Aside from the recent addition of the ABS fairing, the Suzuki GS500 hasn't changed much at all in the past 20 years.

In regards to pure sex appeal, the 2009 GSXR-600 that I posted on pg2 wins hands down for me. Not a black one nor a blue & white, but the all white with ghost lines in light bronze. She's sexy to the core with more than enough attitude to boot, which is exactly what I'm looking for! I didn't actually ever think that I wanted a crotch rocket until I bought the GS500F last week and have been lusting after a slightly heavier and more compact bike ever since. I already have a bike that I siit on, so now I want one to become one with... I want a low-angle cornering machine, because I live in the state that is known for having some of the best motorcycling roads in the country. Just imagine nearly every road having banked turns with near-perfect camber, where around every turn is yet another hole shot! Highway-123 is posted 10mph for 5 miles, because it's all that and then some. I've tagged it at 55mph on my Boulevard, but would love to have a bike that would allow me to hit 80+ on the 50yd straight-aways on that road before entering the next set of hair-pin switchbacks.. :D

-Tim

Back