75gal with condys

garvin90

I have a 75gal with 2 average and one fairly good sized condylactis and am wondering which clowns do host in them. I have a book on clownfishes(by joyce wilkerson) and it tells me that clarks, maroons, and sometimes tomatos will host in them. Is this information true or are there other species that do host in them more readily. I believe i saw in the LFS once or twice they had pink skunks in with some condys but i dont remember if they were hosting or not.

If it is maroons as one who does host in them, how beligerant are they to more peaceful species, namely yellow tangs as i have one that wil be transferred to that tank shortly.

My other question is, i have a anenome crab hosting in the middle sized condy, how likely would any clown be to drive it out of there? I know my crab will jumb condys since it was actually in the smaller one and then "upgraded" when i added the other 2.

thanks ray

technically they condy is not clown hosting but people have had this happen.. they also sometimes tend to eat there hosts so.... clowns are from the pacific and the condy is from the atlantic so host with caution, or they may not host at all.. as far as the crab ive seen them stay in an anemone while the clownfish were hosting as well, some clowns will let them stay and some may make them go..a maroon clown will be fine with a yellow tang in a 75..

As SVXH6 said, they are not a typical "host" species. They are Atlantic/Caribbean in origin. They do play host to several species of crab and shrimp, though. Working at a LFS that frequently sells Condy anemones (instead of some more difficult ones), we have had numerous instances of many clowns coming to accept them. The primary ones that I noticed were A. clarkii, followed by A. melanopus, A. frenatus, and some maroons. On occasion, I have even seen A. percula and A. ocellaris in them (though very rare). The anemones are still beautiful, so mixing them with clowns is hit or miss. The only time I observed the Condylactis eating or stinging a clown was when it was confined in close quarters with the anemone and when its slime coat was disrupted. Even the hosting species of anemone have been known to eat their potential symbionts.

went with melanopus

went with melanopus

At my LFS owners advice i went with 2 melanopus. I was tempted to get the clarkii but those and frenatus have been my favorites.

It wont be a big deal if they do not host with my condys as i was planning on adding a bulbtip eventually however i will becareful about as he(LFS owner) was telling me that those and the condys dont always get along so well. Those anenomes can always be crab or shrimp hosters if i want although i cant seem to find anybody selling anenome shrimps, anyone help with thise aswell?

I got my bulb tip today anyway... this hobby is way to addictive! I was kinda surprised actually since as it was getting darker today the clowns were swimming in the column paying no attention to the new anenome and then the lights went out and one of them found its way to the anenome. The other didnt follow which im not sure what this means since they have been pretty inseperable since ive gotten them.

Can anyone tell me how often the BTAs split or is it hit and miss?

Ray

Back