800 gallon fowlr predator system

alright after some serious thought I have changed the list to this. Anything that could potentially harm the rays/ sharks have been moved to the 4x3 tank that is attached.

Dt

Oriental sweetlip
Harlequin tuskfish
Threadfin snapper
2x mask ray
Blue spotted ribbontail ray
2x bluegrey carpet shark
Cheeklined maori wrasse
Miniata grouper
Barramundi cod
Lipstick tang
Achilles tang
Emperor angel
French Angel
Tesselata moray

4x3

Black Volition Lionfish
Guinea Fowl Puffer
Majestic angelfish
Niger trigger
Sohal Tang

My only questions are these:

1. Am i kidding myself even attempting a Tesselata Moray in there? should I just stick with a zebra?

2. has anyone had successfully housed angels with rays before? heard they can sometimes pick at the eyes of them. What about tangs?

3. The fish are written in terms of their added order... are there any issues with the order they are going in? should I try it a different way?

alright after some serious thought I have changed the list to this. Anything that could potentially harm the rays/ sharks have been moved to the 4x3 tank that is attached.

Dt

Oriental sweetlip
Harlequin tuskfish
Threadfin snapper
2x mask ray
Blue spotted ribbontail ray
2x bluegrey carpet shark
Cheeklined maori wrasse
Miniata grouper
Barramundi cod
Lipstick tang
Achilles tang
Emperor angel
French Angel
Tesselata moray

4x3

Black Volition Lionfish
Guinea Fowl Puffer
Majestic angelfish
Niger trigger
Sohal Tang

My only questions are these:

1. Am i kidding myself even attempting a Tesselata Moray in there? should I just stick with a zebra?

2. has anyone had successfully housed angels with rays before? heard they can sometimes pick at the eyes of them. What about tangs?

3. The fish are written in terms of their added order... are there any issues with the order they are going in? should I try it a different way?

1.-I would definitely recommend the zebra, without any personal experience with Tesselatas (or eels for that matter-I just have always been fascinated and proceeded to research thoroughly about various species in view of keeping them down the line) I'm sure you're aware they are piscivorous-meaning any of the inhabitants that can fit in it's mouth are potential dinner items, and even if the prey item can't fit these eels are notorious for taking bite size chunks out of them-as you mentioned. On top of that they are a notoriously aggressive species, so aside from the predator-prey drive they also are just temperamental critters!

2.-really can't comment but have always read the warnings about angels with rays-and as you mentioned, my primary concern would be the eyes considering their exposure and sensitivity.

3.-looks good to me!

HTH

Found a good alternative to a tesselata in the guinea fowl moray (or turkey moray). Should be a better option and they max out at 4ft which is another plus.

Have heard some people have success with angels and rays and others dont. Will be getting them small and adding to the tank after the rays are all established. Keep my fingers crossed and if it doesnt work out its pretty easy for me to move them to the other tank.

Stand, growout and sump have arrived :D

Tank in the background is 4x2x1 for scale

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
Oh this is going to be cool. I agree with you decision to remove the Tessalata eel from your list. I've had one and it would certainly kill at least a few of your other prized fish. Best to avoid that altogether unless you put it in another tank. Nice option to be able to put the tanks outside! Gotta love Queensland weather. :0)

Hell yeah man that is one sweet tank!
some day i'll be able to do a big tank like that...someday until then I can droll over your build.

Back