900 TDS before RO/DI

deeznuts

Whats up guys, as you can see I live in Tel-aviv,Israel and the water situation here really sucks to say the least.
Can you belive I have 900 TDS coming out of my faucets at home.

I installed a 4 stage RO unit and an additional DI unit from Kent and this lowered things down to 60 TDS.

My question is - what else can I do to bring this number down and is this situation safe for my reef setup?

I have to say that everything in my reef looks great and the only problem I have is some brown algea outbreaks which I assume are a direct link to my TDS problem.

Any comments are welcome, please help.

Thanks.

how many gallons have you made with your system? did you test the TDS output when they were new also, or only now?

Also you say you assume your algae problems are from the 60tds. This could be true, but it could easily be other things.

Have you tested for nitrates, phosphates, alk, magnesium etc???

[i
Have you tested for nitrates, phosphates, alk, magnesium etc??? [/B]

All test are perfect,no phos,no nitrate,calcium is a bit high at 600.

I run phosban in my sump constantly.

what is the water pressure going into the membrane? you could try increasing it with a booster pump if its lower than 50 psi so you can get more efficiency out of it.

You may want to look into a better RO/DI system,

My TDS out of tap is well over 1200, closer to 1500.... and after the RO/DI system, it is 0 TDS...... There may be something wrong with the system.....

You'll probably need to change your DI resin quite often, when was the last time you changed it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12901312#post12901312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2farNorth

My TDS out of tap is well over 1200, closer to 1500.... and after the RO/DI system, it is 0 TDS...... There may be something wrong with the system.....

You'll probably need to change your DI resin quite often, when was the last time you changed it?

1500!!! thats crazy

I changed it a week ago - its a new unit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12901312#post12901312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2farNorth

What unit are you using?
If this RO/DI unit brings you down to 0 from 1200 TDS then it should also work for me, right?

The only unit I would recommend is a Spectrapure MaxCap. They are engineered, built and tested in Arizona with waters in the 1000 to 1500 TDS range. The individually hand test and guarantee every RO membrane to be 98+% efficient in those water conditions as well as custom blend every ounce of DI resin that leaves their facility. Nothing else even comes close to it.
If water waste is a concern they now have a 1:1 Ultra Highe Efficiency low waste system, I recently made the switch myself and its great. My old MaxCap system was giving me 99.23% rejection rate at 4:1 and DI resins were a true 18+ megaohm resistivity (less than an indicated 0 TDS) for over 800 gallons per cartridge. My previous Typhoon III clone was getting only 150 gallons per DI cartridge.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12903757#post12903757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
The only unit I would recommend is a Spectrapure MaxCap. They are engineered, built and tested in Arizona with waters in the 1000 to 1500 TDS range. The individually hand test and guarantee every RO membrane to be 98+% efficient in those water conditions as well as custom blend every ounce of DI resin that leaves their facility. Nothing else even comes close to it.
If water waste is a concern they now have a 1:1 Ultra Highe Efficiency low waste system, I recently made the switch myself and its great. My old MaxCap system was giving me 99.23% rejection rate at 4:1 and DI resins were a true 18+ megaohm resistivity (less than an indicated 0 TDS) for over 800 gallons per cartridge. My previous Typhoon III clone was getting only 150 gallons per DI cartridge.

Thanks man thats great!

But 900$ for an RO/DI unit? isn't that a bit steep?
My family lives in California so they can ship me this unit but I really hope there is another solution.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12903107#post12903107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deeznuts
What unit are you using?
If this RO/DI unit brings you down to 0 from 1200 TDS then it should also work for me, right?

Mine is just an OceanReef +1 from 'Thefilterguys.biz' I'm also using a sediment pre-filter, and a booster pump, Not sure if it helps, but also an auto-flush valve... finally changed my membrane after close to 3 years? just the standard Filmtec 75gpd.... I'm also running 2 Matrikx CTO/2 Carbon Block Filters...

My TDS coming out of the RO, before the DI section, is usually around 8-9... of course after the DI it's 0..... Starting off at, today I looked and it's 1280.

Maybe look into a different Membrane? What GPD, or actually what kind do you have now??

It will be cheaper to upgrade to better filters then buying a whole new unit.... (which is a waste of money)

All housings are basically the same, just different stickers!!! (brands) Also, a booster pump may help..... something to look into....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12904815#post12904815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2farNorth
Mine is just an OceanReef +1 from 'Thefilterguys.biz' I'm also using a sediment pre-filter, and a booster pump, Not sure if it helps, but also an auto-flush valve... finally changed my membrane after close to 3 years? just the standard Filmtec 75gpd.... I'm also running 2 Matrikx CTO/2 Carbon Block Filters...

My TDS coming out of the RO, before the DI section, is usually around 8-9... of course after the DI it's 0..... Starting off at, today I looked and it's 1280.

Maybe look into a different Membrane? What GPD, or actually what kind do you have now??

It will be cheaper to upgrade to better filters then buying a whole new unit.... (which is a waste of money)

All housings are basically the same, just different stickers!!! (brands) Also, a booster pump may help..... something to look into....

Thats the one i'm using ( Filmtec 75gpd ) and a max Kent DI unit , but all i'm getting is 70 TDS.
I'm going crazy,maybe I should check the pressure going in the unit like a lot of people said here.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12907948#post12907948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by useskaforevil
isnt the maximum suggested tds from the epa like 500ppm? i realize the OP ha slittle to do with that but, wow

I know its crazy!

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one here with unreal TDS figures.

anyone here knows if 70 TDS is harmful to a reef aquarium?
what kind of problems can it cause?

TDS is considered asthetics and not a health concern therefore there are no EPA maximum contaminant levels or action levels.

I have been doing test with different ro/di units and tds of water. If you are under 100 tds you should be just fine the diatom algae might be from the lights or if it is a new tank. I would get a clean up crew and not stress it. If you are that concerned try and by different water and test the tds. you might fined it easier just to purchase the water.

Good god, 900...1500... gees. Mine is usually around 127-140 before RODI. I agree with simply upgrading the filters themselves to better ones or at least trying a diff brand of filters other than what came with it.

Back