A future project I want some tips and advice with

Sethdarkus

I'm planning on upgrading my overstocked 10gal nano with 1.5gal refugium to a 40 gallon aqueoun breeder tank with a 20 gallon sump with current tank serving as a refugium to grow macro algae's as waste export. I'm currently waiting on Petco to have another dollar off per gallon sale so I can buy another 40gallon breeder which I feel is perfect in terms of length width and height for most corals, live rock scaping and to meet my overstocked needs. Plan is to find a suitable stand which I'm having problems with I have a drill but I don't have a saw however I'm calating if it be cheaper to go to Lowe's buy wood have them cut to my desired demands. I'm thinking of having the tank stand 3.5 feet tall and well the refugium aka current tank beside it so I'm thinking if I drill the 40 gallon how should I go about this? 2 return pipes or should I drill the 10 gallon to once the 40 gallon is connected to the sump and all my live rock and other live stock is transferred over. Couldn't I use a elbow to feed water to the 10 gallon than drill a hole to the sump? Ie temporary plumbing than replumbing with existing hole. I'm thinking a sheet of acrylic can serve as my overflow box ie silicon it and drill several small holes in series or is there a better way to make it more pleasing because my other idea is to just devote a small area for return and drainage so in other words it may be best to use the 10 gallon as a return than use a second return pump into the 40 gallon. Which I guess I could have Lowe's cut for me to save money on power tools. But are there better ways? If I block the side off and run a acrylic sheet separating it and than a middle separation would it be better to drill the side or bottom? Another thing is I don't want loud suction noise so what are the best ways to do this and if someone has the dimmisions i would need from someone who has done before that would be great. My tank ain't very over stocked, 2 snails, 2 clowns, 1 peaceful Falco Hawkfish, 1 emerald crab, 1 blood red fire shrimp and 4 blue hermit crabs and my compulsion buy recently Kenya tree coral which will probably grow rapidly and take up more real-estate. That's where I plan to keep it no more additions I promise:3. I do weekly 10% water changes and sometimes every 3.5 days.

Another idea is have the refugium in the stand since I plan to buy a premise 20 gallon sump cube it and a 10 gallon should fit quite good inside plus I find it gives more room for equipment however 2 return pumps perfectly tuned lol. However this approach if the side panel of a 10 gallon can be cut than that could feed the sump of course a baffle to keep algae at bay would be needed than I could keep the sump on a incline ie closer to the floor with gravity doing all the work than pump it back into main tank. I’m not planning this till July or August but if I get my medical waver than I’m off to the army national guard than off to basics and other training so I would have to post pone setting it up till I’m back or maybe spend extra since I should have enough savings before basic training and just make it happen but than again I gotta keep in mind is a semi diy cheaper or should I spend the extra cash? 55 for tank on sale, cost of wood to build stand should be about 100 dollars ie
155 right there, I use a fuval 300watt heater for my turtle 40 gallon breeder so another 50, 255 dollars, a good protein skimmer another 200, 455, 40 pounds of live sand 30 dollars, 485 dollars, gonna buy 40 pounds of base rock with one live rock from arc reef for like 120 dollars, 605 dollars. Gonna need a glass cutting drill bit don’t have a saw so I can expect probably a extra 100 dollars getting some black acrylic cut to how I want so I’m probably looking at between 705-1,000 dollars invested into a 40 gallon breeder, I don’t trust my family to take care of my nano, my sister was in charge of feeding my parakeets while I was away for a week and came back to dead birds, I would feel more at ease while in basics knowing my tank is more stable if I get my medical waver. I just want some tips on the best way I should go about a set up while being slightly more quite than an air pump.

Here's a tip..

Try using the enter key every once in a while to separate your posts/sentences into logical thought groupings vs one big paragraph. Its much easier on the eyes that way.. :p

IMO its better to just run a 40b with nothing but a heater/powerheads than to go broke forcing a sump/fuge,etc... One can be totally successful without all of that extra stuff..
Your bioload put into a 40b is nothing that requires extensive filtration,etc...

Study BeanAnimal overflow.

Acrylic, glass, and silicone do not get along well.

Use a section of your 20 gallon sump as a refugium. Silicone a glass piece as a divider and divert water into the refugium off or your return plumbing.

Buy a saw at HF and look up Rocket plans for the stand.

Good luck and read read read.

Back