A. Latezonatus pair laid eggs!

isseym328

Premium Member
Being in this hobby for over 20 years it's becoming more and more difficult for me to get excited seeing/discovering new fishes and corals that come in. However this is definitely one of those moments that generate excitement. I have never had a clownfish pair lay eggs in my tank before and glad that the pair feels comfy enough to do so. Don't know if the eggs are fertilized or not but it's just so incredible seeing the female aerating the eggs and I think picking off some of the unhealthy ones. And to see this happen with one of my favorite clown species! Here's a pic enjoy!

L0ugwTF.jpg

Fantastic! Congrats on their first batch. Mine still haven't done the deed yet and they are both getting old (10 years+) and I'm afraid they are too old now to ever do so. Do tell about your pair's history, what you feed etc.

Last edited:
Captive bred pair from LA which made me believe that that they would never really spawn. Will see if the eggs actually hatch but don't plan on raising the fry.

Too be honest only had them for a couple years after I sold my mullch and leucranos singles. They are in about three large nems and I feed them a mix of dry and frozen three times a day. I typically feed my tank heavy.

If I am up and wake during hatching I will try to take some pics!

Nice! Once the eggs/fry turn a silver color, they usually hatch a night or two afterwards. You'll notice their eye-shine more too, especially at night when you're looking with a flashlight.
Congrats!

Thanks for the tip! Still pretty orange with white tips and should see the eyes in a few days I believe. I'm not sure exactly when they laid the eggs but noticed them yesterday. Will be monitoring the next few days hopefully they hatch over the weekend since I stay on later haha!

c908bdf883c9d1983ec0e4ff946ed29c.jpg

Here's my current batch. It's a pretty small clutch, but they just started to lay again after moving from my hammer to the Duncan. Once they start laying eggs, it will usually be a 12 to 14 day cycle of laying eggs, at least with ocellaris. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Very exciting! If you're thinking of trying to raise them, you'll need to prepare brine shrimp to feed them. Might be too late at this point for that.

Thanks! Will have to think about raising the fry later on if they continue to spawn. For this brood I think most will not make it, in that I noticed the anemone itself is touching the eggs and probably killing most of them. Anyone have exp with this if the nems can kill the eggs or if the eggs have the natural protection that the fishes do?

Back