A little off topic

zab34

Making a trip to tampa in the near future to check out usf grad school and maybe a lightning game and maybe the aquarium.

What's the best beach to maybe snorkel near there. Must see stores?

FAOIS is worth the trip. The best LFS in Tampa IMO.
The Aquarium is pretty cool. Been a while since I've been, but when I was last there they had some coral propagation houses on the roof that were pretty neat.
Enjoy.

Safe Travels.

If you go to Fred Howard and the viz is decent check out the spring vent on the flats Northwest of the second bridge

Ft Desoto has a lot of nice grassflats, too in St Pete.

Howard Park is cool in Tarpon Springs. Both have extensive grass flats. Grab lunch/dinner at Rusty Bellies afterward at the very end of the sponge docks. The spring usually has a crab trap somewhere on the perimeter. Swim straight offshore from the second small bridge. I've seen lg Permit swimming the 3-4' edge as you snorkle around the peninsula; tarpon and cobia in 4-6', but it's still a few weeks early for them. There aren't really any good beaches inside the bay - you'll want something on the gulf. Maybe Picnic Island beach if you really don't want to travel.

As a club, we have gone to Ft. DeSoto over the years for collection trips. At low tide, it is just awesome what you can find out there. As far as stores, we have a great sponsor list here under the stickied tabs so go check out any/all of them and if you are coming tomorrow- go give a pint of blood at Fish and Other Icythy Stuff and you'll find a great sale and a discount coupon all while you save a life!

heading out tomorrow. What are the best stores near the aquarium and USF? Any favorites in the lakeland area?

Back