A new start...

No, no 240 just a 180...lol

Got some of the materials I needed to run my dual 20A GFI's today. I am going to start cleaning the area, move the sink and a friend is coming over this week to help me move the back bar...then its go time!

Mike

Lookin good! Over-engineer that stand though, you'll sleep better at night. And put a thick THICK coat of semi-gloss paint on it to seal out the salt water which WILL occur.

Glad your going 180!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8261144#post8261144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jarhed
Glad your going 180!

Me too!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8261144#post8261144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jarhed
Lookin good! Over-engineer that stand though, you'll sleep better at night. And put a thick THICK coat of semi-gloss paint on it to seal out the salt water which WILL occur.

Will definitely coat it with a white paint like you suggest! I actually had forgotten that its going on concrete so I bought some 1x4 PT wood to put on the bottom. Once the PT bottom is on, the 1/2" plywood and the foam, I should be right at 48" tall.

Mike

Tagging along for the build. Looking forward to following your progress. I can't wait for the day I can setup a 180!!

Ya I would imagine I would be pretty discouraged after a 180 crash too! Good to know you stayed in it! I wish you the best on this one!

Mike, since I can't get to the search tool, can we get some history on your last 180? what happened?
- Chris

Sure. It was a 180 RR AGA tank with the following equipment:

My Reef Creations MR2 Skimmer fed by Blueline pump
My Reef Creations CR3 Calcium Reactor
3618 Sump (can't remember the make)
Blueline 100 Return pump
Tunze Dual 6100's
6' Maristar with triple 250w HQI 14K's and 4x39w T5 Actinics

It was a nice set-up. I went on vacation for 4 days to Louisianna and I felt like something was wrong the whole time. I didn't leave anyone in charge, I just made sure I had enough water in my top off and left.

4 days later I returned at about 4 in the morning and noticed my halides were on. I shut them off and went to bed. I woke up at about 12 because I had been driving all night and when I went to look at the tank, there was about 3 gallons of skimmate on the floor. The lights got stuck on the first day and killed all of my corals but I guess that 8 hrs I was sleeping everything went nuts...including my skimmer. Well after cleaning up my skimmer and the mess. I found most of my corals completely bleached out! Within like 24 hrs everything was dying. I immediately had a bunch of locals come and buy everything.

MacnReef

Here is the tank a few weeks/month before the crash.

13041me_tank.jpg

Close-up..

13041fullv.jpg

MacnReef

Argh... That sucks. Having a fish tank makes travelling so much more difficult. Fortunately, my roomate is as into fish as I am.

- C

Back