A Reef Tank in the Desert - +/- 1,400 gallon system

Nice kitty there in the back yard. While I haven't seen any on our property, we know they are out there since there have been multiple photos, typically with game cameras. We also seem to have a population of melanistic cougars which lead folks to believe that we have a separate species of black panthers. The Game and Fish officers have denied their existence for years. Finally we found out why. They are concerned that the cats in question, although improbable, are Florida panthers. If that were ever verified, it would change everything in this area due to the extreme endangered status of those animals. No one around here really believes that, but they are too scared to actually check the DNA.

As for your project, splendid as always. I spent the last week reading it again and taking more notes. If I can simply mimic a fraction of your success, I'll be a happy man.

I think it took me 2weeks to get through this thread... I have scoured through every page and loved every minute of it....thank you for sharing so much or your life with us... I've tried to keep up with my thread as well, but you seem to have a true devotion to the educational aspect of the hobby in the amount of time you have put into this thread. That being said... I live about 2 hours north of you... And my son and I would love to come visit your shop. I love the concept you laid out in the earlier post and my son and I want to open a store here on the west side as most of the LFS' are in central Phoenix or Mesa... It will be a while as he I only 6...but who knows... Anyways thanks again... I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you sometime.

What were you using before? I assume salt mix with RO/DI water, but was your water coming from a well? city municipality?

It's odd though that water that's not from an area with reefs would be good for your tank, maybe it's got electrolytes in it! :D

Hi sfsuphysics,

I would make either Reef Crystals, Salinity or Tropic Marin - mixed together with my zero TDS RO/DI water.

I think it is the fact that water is full of microfauna and pods.

Hey Dan, long time no comment - been following along and your build is looking spectacular. To comment on the natural sea water, there is a guy on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQ0ydIHJpJGdjRzgFNgj9w called J Madden that saw the same results by switching. He has some really nice videos posted and his PE is out of this galaxy! I too believe that NSW is better than pre-mixed salt but dont know exactly why.

Cheers, keep the pics coming - also, I miss fun/delivery friday!

Fazilosman!

It's been a long time man! How are you?

Thanks for the video link. Yes, I am real happy with it!

I hope that all is well with you!

Thanks Doc! To be honest, I haven't spent any time working on replacing all the mag-drives yet. My wife was talking about taking the kids to kids to Disneyland and to visit their cousins in the next couple of weeks - that would be the best time for me to it. Not sure yet if I want to drill a new hole for another dart or how creative I want to be.

With regards to the dogs, I never take anything for granted. We've lived here nine years and have never had any issues. Knock-on-Wood

Youre welcome, Dan. No worries, its better to sit tight, considering/contemplating some/all options versus rushing a decision, one likely made in haste, which can/will end up full circle back into the same scenario ... We can speak about it/other options, once I get an/the opportunity to call :)

Not that I thought/assumed you were, but its excellent to hear you're not one of the/those ignorant ones, who think that because they can afford the property they also have some kind of delusional/self-righteous control over the actions of the native/natural fauna ...

No issues in 9 years, thats great ... How's the coyote population around you there then ? Must be, relatively speaking, fairly sparse if not a single issue, ever. If theyre there you'll know, since they often times howl, signaling the other members of their pack, after capturing intended prey/food source, as Im sure you know/have witnessed.

Now, Dan, if you do have a native/local population a trick/method you can/should do, for your dogs increased safety, is pee outside, along the perimeter and specific, strategic spots in the interior of your yard, which affectively "marks" your territory to the Coyotes ... They will smell/pick up on the hormones/Testosterone/pheromones in your urine, which often times (if you're a decent sized guy who works out, etc) will repel them as they can notice/sense a larger, potentially more aggressive (Testosterone) animal who has already marked the area as his own territory. Sounds funny, maybe even far fetched to some who dont understand, but it works. Could potentially save your dogs life one day ... So start peeing outside, regularly ! Maybe every FedEx Friday, as a good scheduled reference lol

Also, Coyotes can jump over twice their body length, in height, to get up and over fences/walls/etc, so use that as a reference as to whether a wall/fence is keeping your dogs safe or not ... Most people do not realize that fact/skill of the Coyotes. Again, not my area of expertise, but wanted to chime in, given its a topic/subject/location which Im familiar with/fairly knowledgable in and considering your dogs potential danger

You don't have to talk a man with 5 acres into peeing outside, it's in our nature. Well, when the wife isn't looking, haha.

Haha touché, Brett ... Personally, I'm all about peeing outside as well. So much better for some reason ! Especially after a few :beer:

Last edited:
This thread thread has gone so far off topic so many times since its creation :lolspin:, see what happens when we dont get enough updates Dan.

Thats the nature of a smorgasbord/entertainment style thread.

The last "update" in itself was technically off topic, but it was something he chose/wished to discuss, thereby making the/our subsequent/previous posts on topic at the moment ...

Ultimately, its his prerogative what he chooses the current topic to be. Though, to advocate for you, I don't think thats what he was expecting in response ha :)

The man eater cat just caught a view of your reef tank and see's opportuntty...... not good :(

Nice kitty there in the back yard. While I haven't seen any on our property, we know they are out there since there have been multiple photos, typically with game cameras. We also seem to have a population of melanistic cougars which lead folks to believe that we have a separate species of black panthers. The Game and Fish officers have denied their existence for years. Finally we found out why. They are concerned that the cats in question, although improbable, are Florida panthers. If that were ever verified, it would change everything in this area due to the extreme endangered status of those animals. No one around here really believes that, but they are too scared to actually check the DNA.

As for your project, splendid as always. I spent the last week reading it again and taking more notes. If I can simply mimic a fraction of your success, I'll be a happy man.

We will keep the pretty kitty outside.

Hawg Pharm, it's great to see you still around!

You don't have to talk a man with 5 acres into peeing outside, it's in our nature. Well, when the wife isn't looking, haha.

Haha touché, Brett ... Personally, I'm all about peeing outside as well. So much better for some reason ! Especially after a few :beer:

This thread thread has gone so far off topic so many times since its creation :lolspin:, see what happens when we dont get enough updates Dan.

Alright guys!

I am a pee'r! Or as my dad would say, a little pisher! o2manyfish may be the only one that get's that.

Every night, when I take the dogs out to do their business, I keep the Coyotes away by... So there! My 14 year old...The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree.. I am sure he is falling in his dads footsteps!

But enough about wildlife and pee'ing. Let's get back to Reef talk!

Even here, without any acreage we have coyotes that come in from the park a block away.

So, when I go out in the backyard in the evening I always mark my territory. The girlfriend think's its gross. But I laugh at her and keep marking my yard.

And I am sure there are plenty here that know what a pisher is.... But are they using their Shmeckyl (sp?)?

Hit triple digits here today and supposed to stay that way through the weekend? How is the weather by you?

Dave B

I noticed the great looking black tang on DD today, were you able to get it? I vaguely remember you saying something about wanting one in the future, wasn't sure about your price range. Either way, I hope the Sohals are doing great! I've always been a huge fan of those fish

Jacob

Even here, without any acreage we have coyotes that come in from the park a block away.

So, when I go out in the backyard in the evening I always mark my territory. The girlfriend think's its gross. But I laugh at her and keep marking my yard.

And I am sure there are plenty here that know what a pisher is.... But are they using their Shmeckyl (sp?)?

Hit triple digits here today and supposed to stay that way through the weekend? How is the weather by you?

Dave B

Oy!
Look at all the lonsmen mit this chazarai!
Must be because we were so vetz a yam.
Feshtey?

Back