A sea guppy

wvned

Premium Member
Is there a marine fish that would make a good easily bred fish as a feeder for predator species? I would love to have another Lion. Mine did fantastic as long as I could get live food. Then I couldn't and that ended that. My 3 lions would not touch dead food.

Mollies? Even if you kept and bred them in freshwater, they'd swim around plenty long in the salt water to get eaten.

Mollies? Even if you kept and bred them in freshwater, they'd swim around plenty long in the salt water to get eaten.
I fed the 3 dwarf lions guppies, mollies and grass shrimp. They did not like swords, betas or plates. I was buying them 300 at a time. They ate them faster than I could get them to reproduce.
I occasionally gave them minnows which are bad for them. The eels come out and catch them like wild things so the lions rarely ate one. The eels did not react to the other fish that way. They might eat one if it swam right in front of them but they did not react to them being placed into the tank.

I was gonna say mollies as well. Might be a situation where you set up a brood stock first? I’m not aware of any fish that breed regularly enough saltwater wise

occasionally gave them minnows which are bad for them. The eels come out and catch them like wild things so the lions rarely ate one. The eels did not react to the other fish that way. They might eat one if it swam right in front of them but they did not react to them being placed into the tank.
I had a smallmouth bass years ago in a 90 gallon. Most fun fish ever - he'd chase beer caps thrown across the room. Anyway I usually fed him goldfish and big freeze-dried krill but one time I stopped at the bait shop and got him some minnows. Day one he gobbled them up like a maniac. Day two on he would zoom right up to them and then stop. Must made his belly upset. He would take a dry krill before he would eat one of those again. Anyway, that's my story.

If you are buying guppies 300 at a time and not able to keep up then I doubt you'll be able to breed marine fish in the number you need. There are fish like the mandarin that throws 100's if not thousands of eggs a night but raising them is dang near impossible.

My Bella goby let thousands go every couple months but again keeping them alive is hard.

Clown fish are some of the easier fish to breed still a process but a known and duplicatable one. The only lay about every 30 days or so and no so many eggs. The work of raising them probably would be a good pay off.

I had ok success with peppermint shrimp but they aren't fast growers.

Seahorse spit out hundreds of babies fairly regular the babies are about an inch and not too terrible to keep alive as they will eat baby brine shrimp.

I think maybe if you want to raise your own you'll need to not have the sheer number of predators you have or teach them to eat frozen. My Minatus grouper loves anything that swam but also too fresh seafood from the grocery store. Didn't really like frozen.

The cuttlefish I grew didn't really like dead food ever.

More detail on how you bred/raised Peppermint Shrimp please😉🙂
Well don't want to thread jack but I kept a 5 gallon bucket with tisbe pods and a mixture of live algae with lights and a bubbler. Once I added the zoestra then I would also add small strain freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. Just kept that going until they went through several stages and had big gangly legs. Then I'd transfer them to a shallow tray and continue to feed copepods and baby brine and live algae but also put in small pipe and such for settlement. I used most of them for feeding seahorse babies because larger sizes settled are only about $3.

Well don't want to thread jack but I kept a 5 gallon bucket with tisbe pods and a mixture of live algae with lights and a bubbler. Once I added the zoestra then I would also add small strain freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. Just kept that going until they went through several stages and had big gangly legs. Then I'd transfer them to a shallow tray and continue to feed copepods and baby brine and live algae but also put in small pipe and such for settlement. I used most of them for feeding seahorse babies because larger sizes settled are only about $3.
Oh, hugely labor intensive then.

Oh, hugely labor intensive then.
Compared to most marine fish.... No. Tisbes thrive in the bucket and bbs are easy to hatch. Many marine fish need parvo copepods which only eat Iso which is difficult to cultivate without crashes and such.

When I kept carnivores like Lions and moray eels I would take feeder guppies or goldfish and inject cod liver oil into their bellies then feed them to the carnivores.
For people feeling that is cruel, you are FEEDING these cheap fish to your expensive fish anyway so if that bothers you, you can take peanut butter and make it into the shape of a sardine and feed that. :D

Back