A Zoanthid Lover's Poll

A Zoanthid Lover's Poll

• To gain knowledge on growing/maintaining a healthy Zoanthid population ?

Votes: 80 80.0%
  • To seek help in solving Zoanthid related issues ?

Votes: 40 40.0%
  • To look at pictures of Zoanthids only?

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • To share your experiences and Zoanthid related knowledge?

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • For identification, a nickname, a region, zo, paly or proto etc ?

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • To post pics of your Zoanthids ?

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • To just hang out and look around ?

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • To meet/find local Zoanthid lovers ?

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • OTHER, Please post your reply in the ZOANTHID LOVER'S POLL thread.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934413#post6934413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ckfazz
would it be possible to make each new one a sticky with an archive folder for the older ones? This way each topic would be easy to locate.

building on this idea - i don't see RC adding a sub-album (a 'folder' in the forum world) for the TOTW. in the past, when ideas involved similar execution (a special trading/selling section for zoas only for instance) it was shot down as the fear of each section wanting their own would certainly dilute RC to say the least. (i.e. why not a sps dedicated trade/sell forum? and an anemone, and a shroom, and a....) my guess is that the same logic would be applied here - a lack of desire to add 30 new sub-forums.

however, having said that, i think it's a good idea! :) we have the tool that tekknoschtev started: that nifty Zoanthid Information Draft. perhaps it has matured enough to rename that sticky to 'Zoanthid Information Index' and add a TOTW section listing each topic as it becomes available?

(i still read TANK of the week when i see that acronym, heh!)

I have to agree with Bill here. I enjoy reading the informative threads a lot (the zoa dip and nudibranch no more threads being a prime example) but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and being a very visually oriented person, to see what someone is talking about in a picture can be extremely helpful IMHO!

whodah, I re-read my psot and it did not come across as I meant it. What I was thinking was a sticky for the current TOTW and another sticky with the links to all prior TOTW. This way, it would be easier to locate information that was previously discussed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934820#post6934820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Junkie
I should've probably posted this in the TOTW thread. :rolleyes:
One of a number of great ideas here that I'm happy to work on :)
Don't need to post there, as I've seen them here [and might link this discussion].

Happy for more input, ideas ... and given people are asking - I'll be stickying it.

FWIW, I'm probably going to run them more as discussion of every 2-3 week period. Seems like it took a few days to get rolling ... just need a modified title now :lmao:

I think there are too many ID threads. Naming Zoas is a futile effort, I've decided that the "ID for purpose of trading" argument is not valid because there are just so many types of Zoas that it gets a little ridiculous.
If you don't have a digital camera you have no business selling zoas online :D

I come here for the discussion (reading the stickies is a day at work well spent), for the pictures and mostly for the knowledge.

My late reply :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934151#post6934151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF
Mr. Ugly, I am not a senior member and I will try to be as careful as possible saying this so I don't sound cocky or arrogant.
Mucho, not a problem. I've read enough of your stuff so that I know you're not that way :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934151#post6934151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF
My friend there is so much to talk about and discuss relative to Zooanthids. This is one of the reasons the TOTW was created.
Definately a lot of good info to be shared.

I see 50 votes for those reefers who come to this forum to gain knowledge on keeping zoas, yet on 12 reefers responded to the first Topic Of The Week which began two weeks ago.[...]
Mark went to great lengths, great lengths to pull that together and only 12 reefers responded with over 250 views. I don't understand that to be perfectly honest. There are thousands of views and post for pics.
Those numbers don't surprise me. Some people don't respond to the "serious" threads because they may be lurking and learning, and don't have anything to share just yet. Also, pic threads are easy entertainment for people.

The "serious" threads on whatever forums tend to appeal to a more select group. Also, some people may feel awkward to admit to themselves that they are more interested in the pics than they are in the info. The numbers don't lie. Probably are a lot of casual forum visitors that are not "hardcore" into zoa keeping, so they go for the pic threads.

I'm a member of another site that has almost 6000 members. The majority are casual visitors. They typically ask questions relating to quick and easy answers. Some of us took it upon ourselves to help mentor the newbies and answer the same questions over and over again. We even hang out in the chat to help newcomers.

On that site, maybe there are a couple dozen regular posters. It's a kind of techie site, and even among the hardcore people there, less than a handful of us have done in depth technical contributions. Newbies and others are always asking for us to explain our techie stuff... but when we do, their eyes glaze over. A lot of people say they want the info, but very few actually do make use of it or truly continue in the discussions. That's just how it is.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934151#post6934151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF There is a vast amount of experience and knowledge right here at our own doorstep. 90 % of what one needs to know is right here. AGAIN, I'm not knocking pictures.
Yep, tons of knowledge. It does seem like some people are knocking the pics. I think it's fair enough that those who prefer discussion to pics can go start any zoa care discussion they want. People can even post questions in the pic threads, if there is something specific they want to know. "What are you feeding them?" "Did they change color on you?" "How did you get those bright highlights?" Instead of being unhappy about lack of techie stuff, they can post. This forum is what the members make it to be.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6934151#post6934151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MUCHO REEF As for the reefers who choose to be "obnoxious", well, I just think it's disrespectful. I can still recall the disagreement that WHODAH and I had and we never, not once took a shot at each other and we discussed it openly and maturely. He has my respect for that.
I remember that. The internet needs more people like you and Whodah. I was impressed.

best wishes.

Thanks.

Just have one last reply as I don't want it to appear that I am bumping my own thread. Regarding the statement below,

"Some people don't respond to the "serious" threads because they may be lurking and learning, and don't have anything to share just yet.'"

I just want those reefers to know that they do indeed have a lot to share even if they don't think they do. Each an every time I long on and come to this forum, I try to learn something. Regardless of how small or large it is, I try to extract something new from the many experienced reefers as well as the newbies. Sometimes what one thinks is nothing, could very well be something very informative. No one here knows it all, therefore, we are all trying to improve upon that which we have already attained. To those who feel that they have nothing to share, I totally disagree, you have a lot to offer. There is no need to be afraid to say, ask or inquire.

I would love to see us spotlight one members Zoanthid tank per week right here in this forum. They could post pics and share all the vital information about their system. Just imagine the amount of feedback, suggestions and thought provoking discussions that would arise from such a post.

OK, I'm rambling again.

Mucho

Back