Absolute cheapest Ca reactor for a nano

You said you had a bad experience. with kalk reactors. I assume that is from all the mixing involved. If that is the case you might want to look at this solution:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66546
(Warning, first link does not work, you must read the thread to understand the system ;o)

Its a *SIMPLE* diy kalk system. It has 0 moving parts (assuming you have a float switch top-off). It is very simple to build. It is also the cheapest option you have.

I'm personally building one for my 29G w/ 20G sump. I will be using the "T" option so I don't drip 100% kalk into my system.

Yeah Im working on a doser for the 2pt solution.

I never said I had a bad experience with a Kalk Reactor, I had a bad experience with Kalk period.

Thanks for your input.

Well, my smallest tank is 20g, and I find no difference between it and all my other tanks, I figure it's all proportional, with a smaller tank having fewer inhabitants so the levels in the tank will deplete at the same rate as my larger tanks.
When I go away, (up to 2 weeks at a time) I have a neighbor top up the tanks to maintain salinity levels, and when I get home, I do water changes and then add the two part formula gradually over the next few days to raise levels back to where I want them to be.
For me, reactors are out of the question financially as I would need 8 of them to handle the 8 systems I run.

you don't need a reactor on a 20g tank. you can't possible have a major amount of SPS corals in there and water changes should be fine. even a real low solution of kalk will be fine.

John Rochon,

Have you ever done sps in a 20 gallon system volume sized setup?

I dont know about needing a CA reactor, but I know water changes dont do it, unless your talking about bi-weekly or something like that?

Just so you know you don't need a solenoid and a ph controller to run a calcium reactor.Most don't use one since you can test the effluent every now and then to make sure your ph is steady.Most people have reactors that are steady till you have to refill the co2 bottle .And most calcium reactors come with bubble counters or you can get a regulator that has one on. Also c02 bottles are not something you have to buy.Most places will get a hold check like they do at Blockbusters and just charge for the air.Infact most places that refill co2 want you to turn yours in and give you an old rusty one .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6526588#post6526588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bullredchaser
Just so you know you don't need a solenoid and a ph controller to run a calcium reactor.Most don't use one since you can test the effluent every now and then to make sure your ph is steady.Most people have reactors that are steady till you have to refill the co2 bottle .And most calcium reactors come with bubble counters or you can get a regulator that has one on. Also c02 bottles are not something you have to buy.Most places will get a hold check like they do at Blockbusters and just charge for the air.Infact most places that refill co2 want you to turn yours in and give you an old rusty one .

I disagree with this...

You may not need a solenoid, however the added price of one is quite nil with regard to a regulator. A regulator + solenoid is only very little in added cost to a regulator alone. That being said, a solenoid is needed if you want to use a controller.

You may not need a controller, but your tank will be alot less maintenance free and safer. Testing your effluent is not a very efficient and safe method to run a reactor. Unless you're testing with a pH meter, and then you can see pH constantly. This in turn would mitigate a small but worthwhile increase in price for a pH controller. Breaking out my salifert pH to test for effluent on such a small tank would mean testing multiple times daily. I work, and thus is not possible. A 20g can fluctuate VERY quickly and thus, a controller + solenoid would be recommended if you were to run a Calc reactor.

Bubble counters are cheap...so no use disputing this, even if regulator or reactor didn't come with one, its like 10 bucks max.

About the C02, perhaps around your area this is true, but around where I live, you have to buy a bottle. Yes, when you fill up, they exchange bottles, but no big deal, even better cause I'd rather not wait and just walk in and out (mine are never rusty).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6526588#post6526588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bullredchaser
Also c02 bottles are not something you have to buy.Most places will get a hold check like they do at Blockbusters and just charge for the air.Infact most places that refill co2 want you to turn yours in and give you an old rusty one .

I so wish this was true. But it isn't around here. It is true they change them out but you still have to have one, and noone sells them here either.

If you don't just change them out you have to wait 3 days to get it refilled cause they send your container to another town to get it filled.

I agree a reactor is insane for a tank this small. CO2 can drop your Ph in a small tank very quickly if something goes wrong. A two part doser is the way to go. Plus if you want a reactor, you better not skimp on the regulator. Cheap equals difficult to dial in. I have an M3 regulator and it is about $150.

Back