AC3 Loss of power alarm

thebradybunch

I am looking into buying an AC3and want to be able to have a text message sent to my cell phone if the power goes out. My setup will consist of the AC3 connect to my router in another room via a CAT5 cable. I am assuming for this to work I am going to have to have a UPS at the computer for the cable modem and router and another UPS at the aquarium for the AC3. Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, this will work; you will need to provide power to the battery port on the AC3 (the AC3 reports a power fail when main power is lost and backup power is detected). I've seen people use batteries and others use UPS (so that the AC3 can run longer than it would on a battery).

Perfect, that's a big help. I was also trying to decide if I was going to use a wireless bridge or run a CAT5 to the router. I was assuming I was going to need a UPS at the tank for the AC3 and for the bridge but if the AC3 will run on a 9v I will just run a network cable and eliminate the need for a UPS at the tank.

Bump for a few more silly questions.

How do I hook up a 9v battery to a female input on an ACIII unit?? I've read I'll need a transformer, but forgive my ignorance...I don't know what I need exactly. Any instructions would be helpful. Perhaps a link to an actual product may help me and others out...

I have an old APC BackUPS 200 (apparently 130watts) that I could run for the ACIII. Correct me if I'm wrong... I will need a special 9v power supply (or the 9v battery issue) that fits the "battery" input on the ACIII --------and then plug it into the APC -------which is plugged into the wall. It should work for an email power failure alarm, right?? If so, any idea how much longer the unit might stay on?

(Oh...I just want the unit to stay on long enough to report the power loss issue to my email. I will also have my modem/router on a UPS).

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
There is a second power connector on the AC3; you can build yourself a 9v battery holder that has the correct plug on the wire and that will work just fine. Yes, an alternative is to have a second transformer connected to a UPS.

The UPS alternative is best if you need to power networking equipment (aka; to have a live email connection, etc).

Cool. I have one of these around. This work? I just need to splice in a correct end to fit the AC3 if it won't fit already? (I'm pretty sure it won't.)

I keep answering all of my own questions, don't I???

:)

Back