Acan Color

Nvizn

I've been having some issues recently with my acan's. In the process of the last month or two, nearly every acan has turned almost completely white, with a faint hint of color. My first thought was lighting/bleaching. I noticed the majority of the discoloration appeared to be on the sunny side so I relocated each to a shadier area. The acan's continued to discolor until the entire colony (multiple colonies and frags) was white. All other corals are unaffected. Any insight is appreciated.

I have 1 250w Halide, T5 -> 2 24w 14k's, 4 36w actinics, and 2 24w actinics on a 92 gallon corner.

That's a lot of light. I think you would almost need to shade acans. Any other LPS like favia or chalice in the tank? If so how are they doing?

That's a lot of light. I think you would almost need to shade acans. Any other LPS like favia or chalice in the tank? If so how are they doing?

Some favia that appears fine. The only other discoloration recently is some frogspawn. The Torch and Hammer look great.

Euphyllia can take a bit more light than acans and favia. If you have the favia in about the same placement and have had it about the same time maybe it isn't the light. All I know is my acans lose their color pretty quick if I move them off the sandbed and I have less light than you (granted my tank is pretty shallow). If the acans are out in the open or up high you may want to move them down and/or shade them a bit and then target feed them with some small meaty foods.

Euphyllia can take a bit more light than acans and favia. If you have the favia in about the same placement and have had it about the same time maybe it isn't the light. All I know is my acans lose their color pretty quick if I move them off the sandbed and I have less light than you (granted my tank is pretty shallow). If the acans are out in the open or up high you may want to move them down and/or shade them a bit and then target feed them with some small meaty foods.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I have seen this happen with magnesium levels being too high. But generally the color comes back pretty quick when the magnesium dosage decreases.

Back