Achilles tang have ich what are some viable solutions w/o removing from tank?

I buy nori from amazon... Its the same thing and soooo much cheaper... I have cupramine here if u cant find it and need.

Thanks Ftampa! Cupramine sounds interesting I just looked it up and maybe I can just dose into tank right now since I don't have any inverts outside of pods which I know will die.

Now that the lights are on I'm going back between ich and velvet hmmm but treatment seems to be pretty similar.

you not dosing it right into the reef tank right? inverts/corals need to be out.

sand beds and live rocks tend to mess with copper level for a few days. treatment starts when copper level remains therapeutic

try get a Hanna reader for accurate copper level

Last edited:
If dosed into reef tank w life rock, you won't be able to use that rock,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treatment is similar but dont dose into the tank.. it is almost impossible to remove the cooper 100% after... You gotta start treatment asap and in a hospital tank

Doh. I started feeding with garlic and going to up the feedings to 4 times a day to see if that will help. Decided not to pick up nori as the tang has been feeding on the multiple types of algae in my tank and seems to be enjoying it. Also already doing two water changes a week might up that as well to see if it helps before I move the fish. So far the tang has not gotten worse and been three weeks, and part of me feels maybe I can get it to recover naturally. However will go pick up copper this weekend just in case and might start a tank in the garage for quarantine moving forward. I'll keep you guys updated.

Johnny thanks for checking in. Achilles Alice and I feel might be doing slightly better. Less white spots and still eating well. Since it's still alive after 3-4 weeks thinking maybe it's just a bad case of ick but who knows. Changes I've done so far frequent 10% water changes siphoning floor and rocks, multiple feedings a day, Garlic, reduces light schedule by an hour so it has more time to rest. The warm temp recently might be helping as well getting up to 82 mid afternoon. Still not over yet will see if it improves in a week.

I feed about 4 sheets of nori each day.

Have a bunch of Ich magnets, 4 powder blues and 3 Achilles so hoping to help them keep it under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny always wanted a pair of Achilles after seeing a pair while snorkeling in Hawaii. You think I can fit two in a 150?

For those that's still following Achilles is doing much better. Still have spots all over but minimized. A couple things that I did which I believed helped.....nori and providing additional caves for the fish to roam/hang out in. Still doing water changes twice a week but might got back to one. I stopped with the garlic after a couple weeks.

Hopefully this helps for anyone in the future that has ich!

Best,
James

Appearing to have cleared up is part of the lifecycle of the parasite. I'll offer you another chance to know your enemy, the key to beating this is here, but it takes reading;
[ICH]

Yes fully aware thanks for the comment! Tang is doing better and better and still have spots here and there. I wonder if it'll fully go away but only time will tell.

Best,
James

Ginger was suggested and discussed years ago, although no proof it does anything. I've treated ich in the past this way. Food soaked in selcon and crushed ginger. Agree with others to increase feeding.

Copper only solution really, but I also am in the camp of letting the fish fight it off, and that if you try to capture and treat, the stress associated with that process may be more harmful than not. With that said, I've not lost a fish to ich in over 10 years.

Back