Acro crab or bad one ID?

BigKahuna

He's small and white and on first glance I thought for sure he was an acro crab but after putting on the lights in the middle of the night and taking some close up's of the little bugger I have a feeling he's a juvenile teddy bear crab"¦

Looks like he's got those ole' blue eyes"¦
8816584582_d7c0ffc08b_b.jpg

And hairy butt"¦

8816583456_0aaa2d3936_b.jpg

I agree with your thoughts. Juvenile Cymo genus crab. Teddy bear crabs are Polydectus cupulifer, very different crab species.

Ah thanks, I was confusing the teddy bear name because of the hairy nature of them. Kinda cute little critter but looks like he's got to go then...

I think most reefers would agree with removal. These guys do tend to munch on sps tissue. Great photos by the way.

I think most reefers would agree with removal. These guys do tend to munch on sps tissue. Great photos by the way.

Thanks, it took me like 100 shots to get a couple that came out OK. Thank God for digital. As soon as the bright lights came on he tended to scurry for more cover. I just pulled the frag and did a Revive dip and managed to get him out RIP.

If it's hairy and it's on your acros, remove it.

That sounds like a great saying for a T-shirt :beer:

Thanks, it took me like 100 shots to get a couple that came out OK. Thank God for digital. As soon as the bright lights came on he tended to scurry for more cover. I just pulled the frag and did a Revive dip and managed to get him out RIP.

True nothing worse than Hairy Crabs on the old Acros old Bean..

That sounds like a great saying for a T-shirt :beer:

I think you did the right thing mate, i've only seen those little guys up to no good when i've found them hitchhiking on a new piece always close to an area with tissue damage.
Get the shirt printed............ i dare ya lol.

Lol, those colonies must taste like purple cotton candy because after I de-crabbed it I mounted it on the main rock work in its final position. I just did a late night flashlight sweep to see if the three frags I mounted earlier were still where they should be and to my horror my green emerald crab was going to town on it like Apollo Creed with Rocky on the ropes. I managed to pluck him off and drop him into the sump. He was my last surviving emerald and been in the tank a long time and never once noticed him go anywhere near any coral. Must be tasty stuff, although his frenzied activity didn't seem to cause any missing polyps that I can see, but better to be safe than sorry. He's still cheaper than the corals ;)

Last edited:
Lol nice description of the that emerald crab going nuts on the acro. He might have actually been checking something left by the other crabs occupation but i agree with flushing him down the drain into the sump :)
My cleaner shrimp gets all kinky with any acro i manhandle after i take my hand out, i'm obviously leaving skin cells behind as he goes nuts for a minute at the place i touched so maybe the emerald was doing something similar.

I had overlooked one too in my milly. Noticed the branch be all white at the base. Then saw the crab was hairy, removed it and it fixed itself.

Imho all hairy crabs are bad. (with some exceptions, but i don't want them).

Back