Acrylic fabrication questions? I can help!

I just checked the bottom of the can. It says APRIL 05. I opened it last week for the first time. Maybe I should move up to a .25mm needle for gap?

Ok so i posted pics of the last lid I made and there were some improvements to be made. So here is my newest tank, 120"x24"x30", 5" lip all way around with 5" center braces and 3" minimum on each side of overflows between the braces if that makes sense.
10footlid.jpg

Also polished up the outside edges
clearseams.jpg

Good job on the top braces.

My only suggestion is to use a round-over bit on the corners- may not matter to the customer, but it does make it look better, and removes sharp edges and corners for handling.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. I've read almost the entire thing over the last month and have learned alot.

Well, I got my first one completed. $15 scrap extruded 1/4 from a local shop (yes, I know it's not the ideal material, but it's good for learning). As well, I had to rely on my table saw for the "clean" cuts becuase I didn't have a good setup to clean up the pieces perfect. As a result, all the pieces are not as clean as I wanted. I did however get good results with the trim bits. The top is mostly for looks, as it's not glued in most places. I tried to keep the tank upright when gluing the top, but will turn it upside down next time. The pieces not being 100% the same height and lack of weight pushing the pieces together hurt that process. It might work better with heavier material, but with the 1/4" it was way too light and slippery.

None the less, it's my first attempt, and it actually held water for the first 3-4 hour test. Honestly I expected leaks or it to blow apart.

03.02.2007-2.jpg

BUT... my next one will be much better. I've had a bit of an upgrade in tools :)

03.02.2007-3.jpg

My next project is actually a media reactor. After that I'm going to build a few more small boxes like that. My final goal is to replace my 100 gallon poly sump with a 125ish gallon sump/refuge out of acrylic.

Good show guys...
You know - I had the luxury of working in a custom fabrication shop for my first experiences with acrylic; had all the tooling, machinery, jigs, and a seasoned craftsman showing me the ropes. You guys are doing it from home, reading from the net, and making do with a few basic tools and can make water-tight tanks.
You ought to proud of yourselves :)

James

Anybody want to chime in on how to bend acrylic and were to get black acrillic stock ? I've been trying to find a deal on overflows for my 150 project and they are so expensive for what they are. think I'de like to learn how to make them. I just don't like the square corner overflows that I'm capabe of turning out now.

Great question azrednex. I am fabricating a small 20 gallon refugium and was wondering what other types of solvent can be used to properly bond acrylic? I was wondering if regular pvc cement would work as there is no WO-4 at our local hardware stores and I am just building a fairly cheap small tank for a fuge. Tanks look awesome btw mabye one day I will have the money to purchase one like that!

Brad:eek2:

azrednex,
try the local distributors in Phoenix such as Laird Plastics & GE Polymershapes for the black material. They will have it, they both carry material for Tenecor that area.
You can buy strip heater elements from Tapplastics.com They are not that great but are okay for 1/4". You can also make your own, do a search for "strip heater" with "acrylics" as author. I showed a simply DIY strip heater a few yrs ago.

Brad,
I think I'd stick with using a good solvent, ask you local distributor or have some shipped in. PVC cement works "okay" in a pinch but the THF in it doesn't do anything for acrylic other than stress it. I wouldn't trust a tank made from it, no matter how small.

HTH,
James

I got some 12x12 pieces of Lexan CP which I think is extruded to practice with, I have one more side to glue on, I must admit that after reading this thread and using some of the techniques, it is alot easier then I thought it would be and my seams are coming out pretty good. anyone think this 12x 12 cube will hold water even though its lexan? the sides are 1/4 and the bottom is 3/8, if it doesnt hold water im just using it to practice with because I got a deal on it. thanks

i think my question was in the wrong section,anyway i wanted to know the correct procedure is when glueing the four sided unit of the sump to the bottom peice? do i ,pin all four sides and glue all at once?or do i pin each side then glue,then let dry then go to the next? iam using weld-on #4 with 1/4" extruded acrylic.
thanks

all at once, it's good to have a helper if you can. Just to pull wires and keep the solvent (where you started) moist so it doesn't set.

James

when your talking about him gluing his bottom on all at once , is the tank on its side and you glue up and down for the ends? and across for the front and back of the tank?

If you have all four vertical panles glued together, you place that assembly on top of the bottom and do the whole joint at once. It will start at one corner and go all the around, ending up at the corner you started at. All will be a horizontal joint.
Almost never any reason at all to do a vertical joint.

HTH,
James

always glue with the piece flat on a table so that solvent wont run out of the seem. So think horizontal seems, not vertical.

Back