Added cuc, water parameters stable for a week. Can I add shrimp?

I only got a small ammonia spike in my tank. I have a 42 US gallon tank with refugium (can't remember how much water in that) which has been up and running for a whole 16 days. I'm not using live rock but Caribsea Life Rock (I don't want the pests). I put 2 dead prawns in the refugium to get the tank started on Day 3 and my ammonia went from 0 to <0.25, nitrites went from 0 to 0.1, nitrates stayed at 0 and after 3 days all the levels reduced to 0 again. On Day 12 my LFS said my tank had cycled (as I had no live rock or live sand) and I could start to put in a few crabs and snails. On Day 14 I bought 2 red leg hermit crabs, 1 rock hermit crab and a turbo snail. Ammonia has raised to <0.25, no change on nitrites or nitrates yet. Still waiting for the ammonia to reduce to 0.

So, after all my waffling, I didn't get a huge spike either.

I've heard that with enough or, live sand, and seawater (keep in mind, it is a tropical sea, so the same bacteria will be present) that the spike may be low. I may have missed it, there were a few days I didn't test. I'll add a juv shrimp, test like crazy, and if I don't see anything for a few weeks, try a small fish. This sound reasonable?

I've heard that with enough or, live sand, and seawater (keep in mind, it is a tropical sea, so the same bacteria will be present) that the spike may be low. I may have missed it, there were a few days I didn't test. I'll add a juv shrimp, test like crazy, and if I don't see anything for a few weeks, try a small fish. This sound reasonable?

Sounds fine to me. You may not have to wait that long. I'm not really sure.

We will see how my water does. My first tank, I moved too fast had had 12 weeks without fish. That's why I'm double checking my every move here.

Surely, since I've been feeding every day, that food must have produced ammonia by now? I've been doing a fair sized pinch. My qt tanks cycle went off the chart, though admittedly that is a much smaller volume of water.

There is no set time your just looking for the NH3 spike as far as I know. 3 weeks seems really long but I'm not sure what would be normal. What scares me is the fact that you hardly saw an NH3 spike.

I agree there's no set time, but 6--8 weeks is normal cycle time (unless some type of ammonia source was added). Since you used live rock, sand & some ocean water, you may have just had a mini-cycle that was barely noticeable. I'd stop the ghost feeding, move the CUC back in QT for a day or 2; then just throw in a raw shrimp & see if you get a quick ammonia spike. If tank is cycled, NH3 will disappear within 24hrs. Check for when nitrites hit 0, look for when nitrates spike & then do a water change. Then you're good to go w/ more CUC & cleaner shrimp. Wait 2 wks, then you're good to add fish & get to reefing! Good luck!

Last edited:
I only got a small ammonia spike in my tank. I have a 42 US gallon tank with refugium (can't remember how much water in that) which has been up and running for a whole 16 days. I'm not using live rock but Caribsea Life Rock (I don't want the pests). I put 2 dead prawns in the refugium to get the tank started on Day 3 and my ammonia went from 0 to <0.25, nitrites went from 0 to 0.1, nitrates stayed at 0 and after 3 days all the levels reduced to 0 again. On Day 12 my LFS said my tank had cycled (as I had no live rock or live sand) and I could start to put in a few crabs and snails. On Day 14 I bought 2 red leg hermit crabs, 1 rock hermit crab and a turbo snail. Ammonia has raised to <0.25, no change on nitrites or nitrates yet. Still waiting for the ammonia to reduce to 0.

So your NH3 went to 0 then back up. Hmm
I would keep on eye on it. I'm not new to the hobby but I'm not an expert. The number you guys are showing I wouldn't really call a spike. I would be worried if I saw the NH3 go back up. Mine spiked high and then dropped like a rock to 0 and stayed there. Maybe there's a way to get around that I don't really know.

I agree there's no set time, but 6--8 weeks is normal cycle time (unless some type of ammonia source was added). Since you used live rock, sand & some ocean water, you may have just had a mini-cycle that was barely noticeable. I'd stop the ghost feeding, move the CUC back in QT for a day or 2; then just throw in a raw shrimp & see if you get a quick ammonia spike. If tank is cycled, NH3 will disappear within 24hrs. Check for when nitrites hit 0, look for when nitrates spike & then do a water change. Then you're good to go w/ more CUC & cleaner shrimp. Wait 2 wks, then you're good to add fish & get to reefing! Good luck!

Thanks
Good info to know

With all due respect, I'm not sure your LFS gave you correct info...I doubt your tank cycled in 12 days, esp. w/o live rock or live sand (& even w/ 2 prawns in refug). It can take from 6--8 wks for a tank to cycle normally. You'll see an ammonia spike, then nitrites, then nitrates. Has your ammonia level risen above 0.25 since adding the CUC? I think you're having a slow cycle & it's just starting since you used dry rock that takes more time to colonize good bacteria. What type of sand did you use or did you go barebottom?

Last edited:
With all due respect, I'm not sure your LFS gave you correct info...I doubt your tank cycled in 12 days, esp. w/o live rock or live sand (& even w/ 2 prawns in refug). It can take from 6--8 wks for a tank to cycle normally. You'll see an ammonia spike, then nitrites, then nitrates. Has your ammonia level risen above 0.25 since adding the CUC? I think you're having a slow cycle & it's just starting since you used dry rock that takes more time to colonize good bacteria. What type of sand did you use or did you go barebottom?

+1

When I first started I had this guy sell me fish that weren't compatible 3 times. Ick keep breaking out in the tank because of fish fighting then he tried to sell me a uv sterilizer. At the time I had no idea. When he told me the price of the UV sterilizer I told him no way am I buying that. This is my 2nd time trying and I've learned more from this form then ever before. I learned that you need to take things slow and get as much info as you can before doing something.

Back