added supplements

rthomas

Have a 30g with open brain, xenia, frogspawn and SPS frag. Have always used purple-up and a magnesium supplement along with reef crystals. Not sure if I should try using a 2 part solution or stay with the purple-up. Everything to this point as far as water conditions has been fine but I'm getting sick off cleaning all the purple stuff off the glass. Any suggestions or stay with purple-up?

First of all, you should know what are your Ca, Alk and Mg values. The point of dosing purple up or anything else is to keep these values in check. Personally I think that Purple Up is a bit overpriced Ca/Alk supplement that could be replaced with much cheaper stuff: two parts Ca/Alk supplement (commercial or DIY).

Use what you have left of the purple up, then quit buying it. You're paying way too much for water in a bottle.

Start doing the 2 part, you'll notice better things right off the bat. Get a good Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium test kit. Salifert is an Excellent brand. Don't skimp out on these kits.

If you need a simple guide to the 2 part solution, PM me your email and I'll send you my "Idiot's Guide to 2-Part Solution"

Back