Adding anemone?

Yes. Needs excellent water quality, strong light and strong flow. I would also prepare to treat with antibiotics. Plenty of info on these forums about the protocol. Judging from the pics, I would treat ASAP.

Yes. Needs excellent water quality, strong light and strong flow. I would also prepare to treat with antibiotics. Plenty of info on these forums about the protocol. Judging from the pics, I would treat ASAP.

AHHHH! Is my light even enough? This is an extremely bad time for this... I am out of town until tomorrow afternoon. Will it be fine until then?

Okay so I found the sticky thread about anemone antibiotics... I don't have a hospital tank at the moment and don't have the money for one. I am 14 so I don't know much about this kind of stuff. Where do I get these antibiotics? And is the dosage the same in the display aquarium or is it okay to even do this in the display?

Use a 5 gal bucket. You have to order the Cipro online unless you can get it from a local vet. Make sure you tell the vet what you're using the Cipro for. You can even show him this website and the sticky for treating anemones.

Your lights will have to do for now, but you really need to look at getting one of the Chinese Black Box LED's from Ebay. They have recently gone up in price by $10 or so. Use to get them last month for $83 shipped to your door. Now they're about $95 ish. This is the cheapest decent light that you can buy that will work well for this anemone. The light will cover a 24"x24" area in a tank, maybe a bit more if you raise it up about 16" or so over the top of the tank. There is a thread in the Lighting forum on them.

You need to make sure that your water is perfect no nitrates or very little and it has to stay stable. No temp, alk, sg swings of any kind.

I saw your pictures and then went back and read that you were going to get a BTA. I'm wishing you good luck with your Mag.

Where do you live? I'm actually looking to possibly get a mag. :D

Last edited:
Use a 5 gal bucket. You have to order the Cipro online unless you can get it from a local vet. Make sure you tell the vet what you're using the Cipro for. You can even show him this website and the sticky for treating anemones.

You need to make sure that your water is perfect no nitrates or very little and it has to stay stable. No temp, alk, sg swings of any kind.

I saw your pictures and then went back and read that you were going to get a BTA. I'm wishing you good luck with your Mag.

Where do you live? I'm actually looking to possibly get a mag. :D

Don't they need light? I can't really afford a really expensive light right now unless I could find like a $10 little light like the one on my Refugium at Walmart or something... How long does it have to be in there? Will it be fine for another week or so? I don't have any time really to get everything for it right now...
Can I even keep it? It says expert only on liveaquaria... I live in middle Tennessee...

You really need to find a good light, they need good quality lighting. The Chinese Black Box is the cheapest you are going to find. You're not ready to have an anemone of this kind and barely ready for a BTA. I'm not being mean, just honest. You would be better off returning it instead of having it die slowly. Which is what is going to happen if you don't get good lighting and the Cipro to treat it. Also like I said earlier you need to have very stable water parameters.

I hate to see you going through this but it's honestly best to ask about stuff here before you go to the LFS. And if you are in doubt about something take a picture and post it for us to see. We only want to see you succeed with your tank and critters.

Try looking in Craigslist to see if someone is selling a light for a good price. It's a longshot but you really need something better than what you have for this anemone. If I were closer I could help you out, but NW Iowa is just a bit too far :lmao:

Oh as an FYI, there is a button in your posts that says EDIT it's right next to the Quote button. You can use that to add or change your post for up to an hour. Take a look and you'll see it. :D

You really need to find a good light, they need good quality lighting. The Chinese Black Box is the cheapest you are going to find. You're not ready to have an anemone of this kind and barely ready for a BTA. I'm not being mean, just honest. You would be better off returning it instead of having it die slowly. Which is what is going to happen if you don't get good lighting and the Cipro to treat it. Also like I said earlier you need to have very stable water parameters.

I hate to see you going through this but it's honestly best to ask about stuff here before you go to the LFS. And if you are in doubt about something take a picture and post it for us to see. We only want to see you succeed with your tank and critters.

Try looking in Craigslist to see if someone is selling a light for a good price. It's a longshot but you really need something better than what you have for this anemone. If I were closer I could help you out, but NW Iowa is just a bit too far :lmao:

Oh as an FYI, there is a button in your posts that says EDIT it's right next to the Quote button. You can use that to add or change your post for up to an hour. Take a look and you'll see it. :D

I'm not sure if I'm quite understanding the antibiotic process completely... So you have to get rid of all the water in the bucket everyday? And replace it with tank water? That would be a ton of water changes... Or do you just add more antibiotics every now and then? And I read something about lights out. Is it lights out for the whole time? And I need to keep the nem in the antibiotic treat for 7 days? I'm sorry but I don't understand some of this...

Yeah, looks like a h. Magnifica to me too, great to hear your LFS let you return it. Now hopefully the next buyer won't make the same mistake thinking it's a BTA ;)

Back