Adding incompatible fish to a Big tank?

Atomic081

Im getting ready to start my 750g build (10'x4'x30")and im still not sure the direction im going to go with fish in the tank. SPS and angels, or a Mixed Reef and no Angels. Alot of this decision will come down to mixing some commonly Incompatible fish in this large tank.

My stock list from my current tank that is going to be transferred is:

2 yellow tangs
1 purple tang
1 Blue tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Moorish Idol
1 Flame Angel
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Pajama Cardinal

****** could get rid of:
Niger Trigger
Regal Angel

Im wondering if i can have 2 sets of clownfish in a 10' tank

Also wondering if I added a few more Yellow tangs, a powdered blue tang, a Naso tang, a Achilles Tang, a clown tang, and a Orange shoulder tang. I know its typically not adviced to have some of these fish together, but with a 10' tank, am I going to be ok?

Also want to add a decent amount of smaller fish (have a huge 10" Niger trigger that eats smaller fish now) that school such as anthias and a few reef safe wrasses.

What do you think?

Thanks
Ross

Short answer, yes it can be done. Should it...imo not with that many tangs. If you want an Achilles, PBT or clown, I’d pick one of the 3. They are all really aggressive with the PBT staying the smallest out of those three and the clown being the meanest.

Adding the yellows can be done too but you’re getting to a high capacity tank with possibly 13-15 x 5-10” Fish.

Yes you can have a couple sets of clowns

Nix the Niger

Short answer, yes it can be done. Should it...imo not with that many tangs. If you want an Achilles, PBT or clown, I'd pick one of the 3. They are all really aggressive with the PBT staying the smallest out of those three and the clown being the meanest.

Adding the yellows can be done too but you're getting to a high capacity tank with possibly 13-15 x 5-10" Fish.

Yes you can have a couple sets of clowns

Nix the Niger

+1 I have a powder blue and Achilles in a 625g and it barely works. I might remove the powder blue still. I also have 4 yellows and anymore than that would be a problem and they are all 3.5" or so. Even the two 2" purple tangs give each other some grief and they have plenty of room in the tank. Avoid the clown tang like the plague, it will mature and kill everything in the tank one by one

+2 on the tangs. I would go with the achilles over the clown from experience. I love clowns but mine hit a foot and killed all other tangs

Agree with the above posters.

As for the angels, you can put them in a reef or mixed reef. They will mostly go for the zoas and LPS. They should leave the SPS alone and you should also be able to have most softies. There are many people on here that have full reefs with large angels and it is fine. Keep in mind they will likely nip at corals here and there. The key is to keep them well fed. I have just added an annularis to my 300DD and have a blueface in QT. Because of the corals I have chosen to keep, I'm not that worried even if they do nip at it.

Agree with the above posters.

As for the angels, you can put them in a reef or mixed reef. They will mostly go for the zoas and LPS. They should leave the SPS alone and you should also be able to have most softies. There are many people on here that have full reefs with large angels and it is fine. Keep in mind they will likely nip at corals here and there. The key is to keep them well fed. I have just added an annularis to my 300DD and have a blueface in QT. Because of the corals I have chosen to keep, I'm not that worried even if they do nip at it.

Ive always had angels in my tanks, Regal, Emperor, Blueface, and lots of small angels. All of the bigger ones have picked at zoanthids and LPS and because of this i think im going to stay away from angels at this point.

thanks for all the advice everyone. Gonna scrap the Clown tang. Still torn with the powdered blue and the Achilles though.

IMO, both are aggressive, but I would choose the Achilles over the PB. Achilles are a little harder to get going if not already eating.

Back