Adding Multiple Angels

michael_cb_125

Well I have decided on adding additional angels to the tank. I have a 240 gallon reef tank (primarily SPS) that already has a very well established Regal Angel. I am looking at adding a Majestic Angel and Potters Dwarf Angel as my next two fish. What is the best way to go about this? Should I add a Majestic Angel that is smaller or larger then the Regal? Should I add a fish in its adult coloration or in the Juvenile stage? Am I correct to say that since the Juvenile Majestic has blue vertical stripes (similar to the regal) there could be more aggression problems. Also should the Majestic I add be larger or smaller than the Regal. I have mixed feelings on this, if the newly introduced fish is smaller will it succumb to aggression more easily? Or will a larger angel the the aggressor to the Regal. Ahh....so many questions....

COME ON ANGELFISH EXPERTS.....CHIME IN......PLEASE!!!!!!
~MICHAEL

Well I used to have a FOWLR tank (350g) with 5 (!) large angels and it worked. What I did was insure that there was a difference in size that was considerable. In your case I would add a Majestic that was significantly larger than the Regal. The coloration is less important than body shape and the two you want are similar.

I am looking at an adult Majestic that is around 5.5 inches.
My Regal is around 3.5 inches.
Would this work better than adding a 1.5 inch juvenile Majestic?
~Michael

I would add 2 more angels rather than just the 1.
You don't want a one way pecking order. By adding 2 the aggression is spread out. My worry is that the angels bother the lps corals and other softies. In a 240 there should be enough places for them ti get away from eachother. Stress can be caused by visual contact (ie posturing) as well as physical aggression.
I am thinking about adding an Asfur to me 180 reef but I have several large scolymias that I don't want it to pick at. Removal would be problematic.
good luck!

Right now I only have two LPS that would be a problem. I have a huge Bright red Lobo Brain, and a Giant Duncan colony with over 60 heads. My Regal has not bothered a thing yet. Also I have another tank that the LPS can be moved to if need be.
As for corals, since the majority of corals that will be added will be SPS I dont think that I will have many problems.
Which other angels would be ok for a reef tank. I guess we can say it is a mixed reef. I know some are just not good reef dwellers, but others can work. I am going to be adding two angels: The Majestic, and a potters dwarf. Will the Dwarf angel be included on the aggression line-up or do I need to add two "Large" Angels?
~Michael

I have not seen centropygies bother the "larger" angels. But I have seen relentles aggression between similar larger angels. If you can, I would discourage the angels (including centrpygies) in the reef aquarium. That said, I empithize with the delema of wanting particular fish and not enough room for multiple tanks to house them. I have sold many angels to people who put them in reef aquariums. Often the angels were in my possesion for extended period and were feeding on a variety of foods.

angelsor not

angelsor not

I'm considering purchasing for my 210 reef.

1)Zebra Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilus) male maybe two females undecided

which do i want
Indo-Pacific or fiji ???

2) Blueface Angelfish (Euxiphipops xanthometopon)
Indo-Pacific or Sri Lanka???

Fiji. They are reef safe. If you are going to eventually try for a harem, add them all at once.

Bluefaces are among my favorites but I do not think they are reef safe.

I've heard of a few Bluefaces that are reef safe, but certainly not a majority. Majestics sound like the most reef safe of that bunch, but still a risk.

Well, I think that the "most" "Reef Safe" Large Angel is the Regal. Actually I have read many places that Regal angels do best when in Reef-Tanks, and that they may never adapt in a Fish-Only Style tank. I think that I am going to order two more angels Tonite. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. ~Michael

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a Regal. Anybody know if one would be okay in my 220g with a pair of Potters?

Reguardless of where the fish originates, method of capture and handling will ultimately determine its survival. You want a specimen that is feeding and otherwise in good health. All angels and reef fishes do best in the reef aquarium...that's where they came from (the reef)! If you love the angel let it eat the coral :(

My Blueface is moderately reef friendly as long as you don't have zoanthids. I'm afraid to have clams, and he occasionally nips at a carpet anemone of all things...but the only thing he's actually wiped out have been zoanthids.

My Regal doesn't mess with anything, he's been completely safe.

jds

I feel the same way about my Regal, I have some Zoanthids in my tank, he does not even pay them any attention. I also have a clam. Well, I ordered three fish last night. Three that I have wanted for some time: Potters angel, Flame angel, and a Majestic Angel. I guess we will see how everything goes. I feel pretty good about the purchase actually, I am prepared for whatever is thrown my way.
~Michael

I have an asfur in an FOWLR tank..about~6 inches..the boss of the tank..nice active fish but i dont know about reef compatability as i have no reef tank

yeah, I have one now that is in a 60 "refugium" with a larger thompson's tang, a slightly larger pyramid b/fly and a school of barletts anthias. It chases the b'fly around pretty good. I was mostly concerned with which corals it would pick on / eat first.

I've got a 180 with a male watanabei and flame, and i've recently added a flagfin and a juvenile emperor. only aggression was between the flagfin and the flame, and it didn't last long.

Back