Adding sump baffle without draining the sump?

miatawnt2b

OK, maybe a really dumb question, but I have a 20 gal sump under my 90. I really need to change some things around to make room for a new skimmer, and that means removing old baffles and adding new. The problem is that there is really no easy way of removing the sump so I can drain it and work on it. So I am wondering if anyone has come up with a way of adding baffles without the use of silicone, and without taking the sump out of production.

-J

I asked this question once...

You can remove the existing w/ razor blades and some brute force..and gloves. If you slit some clear airline tubing you could slide that over the glass edges so you could kind of wedge it into place. Wouldn't be water tight, but it would be a baffle.

If water level is low, silicone only top of the glass baffle.

Whatever you do, you'll probably have better looking results if you took it out of service while you did it.

Jason

looks are definitely not important to me... it is just a sump. I thought of a similar approach using vinyl weatherstrip, but the tubing might be better (as i have a bunch) and just putting a dab of silicone at the top.

Sounds simple enough.

-J

Back