Addition to my reef

That clam is really cool!

What do you need to do in order to put one in your tank? Do you need proper lighting? I think they say 4/5watts a gal? I only have 4 40w bulbs on my 110g now. I am thinking of adding some hallides this summer!

Any thoughts, concerns, questions? lol :D

beautiful clam and great colors tooo. is that a crocea?

keep it happy and it will only get nicer.

plmskier:
yes halides would be a good thing for your tank before adding a clam. porbably at least 175's if not 250's tho keep in mind what ever else you are keeping in the tank and thier lighting requirements. also when clams are small normally less than 3" they need phyto to help feed them and keep them happy. also good calcium and stable tank...

andy

saltwaterfishlover

Hey, I think I might have to go with the 250's, becasue my 110 is a tall tank-with the dem of a 75gal.

I have one yellow tang and 2 percula fish, which only stay on the surface of the tank :( I don't know why? lol oh well all I need to do now if figure out what other fish I can put in there that will fill up the tank a little. Right now the tank seems so empty! What should i buy?

a guess on why the fish may be up high is 160wt of no flourescents is not a lot of light on a 30" tall tank. I might recomend upgrading to vho's. and yes with the height of the tank 250 mh's should be good. another reason they may be up top us maybe not enough circulation or oxegenation not sure am not really the one to ask on that. do you have a pic of the tank to post?
buying fish is the most important decision other than corals that a tank owner can buy. you have to like the fish and it has to be able to cohabitate with your other fish and inhabitants. I definately would not say anything aggressive. a soft coral or maybe an anemone (more light needed for that) or a lps may make the clowns more happy since they may take to it as a host. our clowns too to some hairy mushrooms as a host and hang out it them.
andy

Hi, I think you may be right about the clowns staying on top because of the lack of lighting. I'll have to look into that. What would I have to do with the circulation problem? I dont think I have one but also not sure. I have to powerheads at the bottom corners of the tank and also the output of the canister filter shoots down from the middle of the tank...

Are VHO's strong enough for my tank?

after seing what you have for water movement I dont think circulation is an issue. vho's are great. I have 4 46.5" 110wt vho's over my tank but I also have 2 400wt MH. I believe in the go big or stay home philosophy ( it works for me but may not work for you {disclaimer statement}). for vho's you are probably looking at ~170 for an icecap 660 ballast (price subject to web or local fish store priceing) and ~25 ea for 46.5" bulbs (fit nicely inside most hoods) if you find something the clowns will like to hang out in they may move to were it is and swim around there. Lighting is something everyone has an opinion on just do some searches here in the board and you will see so many different options and opinions it will make your head spin.... you wil have to find what is going to work for the type of tank you want....
fowlr (fish only with live rock) a softy tank, stoney tank (lps) and clam bed each has its own requirements....

I dont meen to sound semi evasive on giving definitive answers but there are so many variables in this hobby....

Hey Guys,

Yes, this is definitely my only clam....
I'm actually more into SPS but when I saw this specimen in the LFS, can't help it but to make it a member of my reef...

I'm currently into Metal Halides.
2 400W Bluelines and 1 250w Saki.... (IMO, enough for a clam...)
Will be switching my Bluelines to Radiums soon....
Jus waiting for the bulb to finish it lifespan....

And this is definitely a crocea except that its colouration is pretty weird, however attractive.....

Thanks for the comments.

sorry for side tracking on your thread. just giving info to someone who was asking.... I love sps but also have 4 clams ( hippo, crocea, max and squamosa)

Hey, that's alright...

And really great to know that you like SPS too.....
Nice knowing you all......:cool:

Gosh... Looks real cool...

Like your Monti Cap...
and those acros...

Is that a monti Digitata sitting directly above the Monti Cap..

And what kind of lights are you with at the moment?

yup is a purple digi (brown polyp purple color) is nice and stout. actually would be bigger but not paying attention while cleaning I accidently fragged 3..3" frags off of it. right now I run 2 400wt 15k xanium halides and 4 110 actinic vho's. I also run a lifereef vs2-24 skimmer, 30long sump/fuge a 18"x6" calcium reactor and a similar chambered nielson reactor.. dose dt's every day.... vho comes on at 7am halides at 11 halides off at 7 and vho's at 9...

the inner curl or the orange cap was about the original size when I got it in june it grows fast love it

Back