Advice on new set-up

Texag0842

Hey guys first time reefer here in Texas looking for some input.

Here's the list so far but would like everyone's input as nothing has been purchased as of today.

36 Elos Midi -
Includes
Elos 400 Sump
Elos PS200 Skimmer
Cabinet

Lighting-
ATI Hybrid Powermodule - 1x75w LED/4x24w T5
Planning to run a 3 blues and a purple unless I can get away with a actinic?

Zeovit Starter Kit -
Includes
Vertex Rx-Z 1.5 Liter ZEOvit Reactor
ZEOvit Zeolith Zeolite Rocks 1 liter
ZEObak Nutrient Additive 10ml
Zeovit Zeostart 3 250ml
ZEOfood 7 50ml

Controller-
Apex Jr.

Sand/Salt
ESV Salt (NSW)
Sand -Leaning to Tropic Eden and planning to mix mini flakes (2mm) but want to mix it with aragnasnow (.5mm) I know it will be a pain but I love the look so Ill deal with the issues - 2.5" sandbed approx

Vortech Mp10 - planning to start with one but will run two if needed.

Testing Kits- Any recommendations this is my first reef tank so I need advice in this category. Also need to know what Hanna's you would purchase and which refractometer

Rock -
Should I go dry or live?
Im leaning with Macro if I go dry and Tampa Bay Saltwater if i go live (open to any opinions/recommendations)

And last-
Spectrapure RO/DI system - Any particular one which is recommended?

Think that covers everything on my list but open to suggestions.

If this is your first tank, I don't know if I would do the full Zeovit system. I've seen some really nice Zeovit systems, but I've also seen where people seem to struggle with the ULNS. Just a thought.

Everything else looks good to me. Salifert and Red Sea are both good for test kits. I just got the refractometer and Hanna phosphate checker from BRS along with RODI unit. I really love the Tropic Eden substrates... super clean. For rock, you can do a combination of dry rock and live rock if you want. Yes, bad hitchhikers are a possibility, but I think all the good outweighs the bad and is part of the fun. I did 50/50 macro rocks and super premium live rock from Florida Live Rock... the rock had so much life including brain corals and 8" gorgonians. I got mine from Florida Live Rock but have read great things about Tampa Bay Saltwater as well. Some people swear by just dry rock with a piece or two of live rock to seed it. It's a personal preference.

If you haven't I would read the stickies in the new members forum. I like brs dry rock.

Why the Elos setup? $2k will buy you several times that much tank/stand/sump/skimmer even from a high priced custom builder. That's what the tank/stand/sump/skimmer for a 100+ gallon setup costs. You could set up a 120 on a high quality cabinet with a top-end skimmer for that much money. I'd strongly suggest that you shop around a bit.

IMHO, Salifert test kits are the way to go. They're generally reliable and easy to use.

For your ATIs, I'd pick up more than 4 bulbs. You'll want to mix and match a bit, because it'll take a little tinkering to figure out what you like. I'd definitely make sure you have at least one Coral plus and at least one true actinic bulb on hand.

As for the rock, it's kinda personal preference. IMHO, your best bet might be going for a mix of live and dry.

I'd consider foregoing the Zeovit, at least for the time being. I think it's probably better to focus on mastering all the basics before you consider that sort of thing. If you have more variables, it makes it more difficult to puzzle out what the problem is when something goes wrong.

Why the Elos setup? $2k will buy you several times that much tank/stand/sump/skimmer even from a high priced custom builder. That's what the tank/stand/sump/skimmer for a 100+ gallon setup costs. You could set up a 120 on a high quality cabinet with a top-end skimmer for that much money. I'd strongly suggest that you shop around a bit.

Tank will have to be moved once in a little over a year when I move into the house. I went through a divorce so X-wife kept the house. Since Im moving a couple friends in the hobby said they wouldn't help if I went over 40g. Reef Savvy will be building a tank for the house so this is just temporary.

IMHO, Salifert test kits are the way to go. They're generally reliable and easy to use.

Thanks will look into them - any particular test that they don't do well or can I strictly use Salifert?

For your ATIs, I'd pick up more than 4 bulbs. You'll want to mix and match a bit, because it'll take a little tinkering to figure out what you like. I'd definitely make sure you have at least one Coral plus and at least one true actinic bulb on hand.

ATI said the 6 bulb on that tank would spill, running true actinic was one of the reason's I wanted 6 bulb but they're recommending 4 with the hybrid set-up

As for the rock, it's kinda personal preference. IMHO, your best bet might be going for a mix of live and dry.

Seem's like that's the direction Im leaning - seeing if I can't go dry in the display and live in the sump waiting on Zeovit forum's response on this idea.

I'd consider foregoing the Zeovit, at least for the time being. I think it's probably better to focus on mastering all the basics before you consider that sort of thing. If you have more variables, it makes it more difficult to puzzle out what the problem is when something goes wrong.

Im sold on it, hoping my background will give me a leg up. If not I have the forums for help :lmao:

Gotchya! Sorry to hear about the divorce. That's never fun :-/. I still think you might be better off looking at an alternative off-the-shelf small tank, especially if this one is going to be temporary. You could save quite a bit of cash to put towards the new tank when you move. The Marineland frameless 25g cube is a sharp looking small tank, there's also a standard 37 at 30x12x22. Deep Blue also makes several smaller rimless tanks, including a couple that are pre-drilled. Just a thought. It's your money, feel free to spend it however you want. If the Elos tank makes you happy, then go for it.

I didn't mean more than a 4 bulb fixture for the T5s, I just meant having more than 4 bulbs available so that you can try out different combinations.

For the rock, one good option is to construct most of the scape out of dry so you can have it exactly as you want it, then work in a few pieces of really nice LR. It'll help get all the critters you want growing in the tank much more quickly. The only disadvantages of LR are cost, and the need to be on the lookout for pests.

Good luck!

Gotchya! Sorry to hear about the divorce. That's never fun :-/. I still think you might be better off looking at an alternative off-the-shelf small tank, especially if this one is going to be temporary. You could save quite a bit of cash to put towards the new tank when you move. The Marineland frameless 25g cube is a sharp looking small tank, there's also a standard 37 at 30x12x22. Deep Blue also makes several smaller rimless tanks, including a couple that are pre-drilled. Just a thought. It's your money, feel free to spend it however you want. If the Elos tank makes you happy, then go for it.

Yea I like them, buddy who's getting back in the hobby is setting up a marineland 93g - we almost picked up a 60g when we got his but I prefer the Elos

I didn't mean more than a 4 bulb fixture for the T5s, I just meant having more than 4 bulbs available so that you can try out different combinations.

Reading comprehension - I lack it haha

For the rock, one good option is to construct most of the scape out of dry so you can have it exactly as you want it, then work in a few pieces of really nice LR. It'll help get all the critters you want growing in the tank much more quickly. The only disadvantages of LR are cost, and the need to be on the lookout for pests.

The pest bother me - I don't know exactly what to look for and it sounds like the largest disadvantage to dry is just the time it take to establish?

Good luck!

Back