Aefw in the house

bwhit1406

So my tank is 7 months old now and i found AEFW on a couple corals. Not too bad compared to what i have seen on the net but still sucks real hard. Timing sucks as my wife is about to give birth.
My plan going forward is to pull all the acro when i have time and start a qt and dip regimen. I have gotten alot of coral in the last seven months from a lot of different sources, i have no idea where they came from and dont really care at this point. I dipped 97% of the incoming coral in Bayer but i know that Bayer does not kill eggs and that 3% probably screwed me.
Any advice from those with experience would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Good luck with your battle. Your plan sounds good. With all new additions the bases must be cut off and discarded no matter what. I would remove all bases now as well. Glue everything to new plugs.

As Rob mentioned your plan sounds good. Really no other way than to pull the acro from your display and let what pests are in there die off.

I picked up some Dr. G coral dip last week and I'm going to try it on my next round of frags. Heard some good stories about it from a guy out West whom I buy a lot of corals from. Something to consider maybe moving forward. No mention of aefw eggs though.

Good luck on your battle and early congrats on the new baby.

Thanks, i know Bayer works pretty good but it is hard to see if anything comes off the coral in the milky water. Do you really have to do a 6 hour dip for Dr G's?

Thanks, i know Bayer works pretty good but it is hard to see if anything comes off the coral in the milky water. Do you really have to do a 6 hour dip for Dr G's?

I haven't tried it yet, but yes, supposed to do for 6 hours. I have a big sps pack coming next week and plan on trying it out before corals go into qt.

Can you treat who take with dr g's? Bottle says you can't, but people says they have called him and it would be just like treating tank with interceptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but i am just going the bayer route. Got a QT tank location plan on using a black box led for lighting. Big question i have at the moment, there are a few of my corals that are encrusted quite nicely on the rocks. Can i just epoxy over any base thats left or do i need to pull the rock and chip it off?

All acros removed from the tank dipped and put in QT. I dipped a few corals last weekend and put back in DT. Those looked good, one coral i found last weekend i just threw out. Found almost no evidence on the corals today and no coral that was heavily infested. Looks like i caught it early enough. Here is the tank Acro less

I am 3 weeks in and this is killing me. I have suffered some loses with the dips and did not see any pests the last dip. I think I am going to skip a week to give the corals a break. Is this a stupid idea?

You might want cut dip time but I wouldn't stop a week as that could allow for egg and adults to continue and slight recovery. My 2 cents continue the course. In the end it will pay off. I plan on losing frags as I will be heavy on qt.

All I can say is good luck!!! Im in the same boat. Been dipping for 6 weeks with Bayer. Kills them but buy the next week there is just as many worms as last week. Corals are almost white from all the dipping. There in my QT tanks on the walls and glass. So dipping is a waist of time to me. (9 hours every Monday.) Im giving up and put back into main tank. To try to color them back up. I have no clue how to get rid of them...

I had good luck with the dip and QT. After pulling all the acros i found that only a few acros had AEFW and only found 1 with eggs. I tossed those and dipped the others weekly in QT while keeping the display acro free. I lost quite a few corals from the stress but what survived came back once they went back to Display.

Back