aga overflow kit?

blazing

wussup everyone i was looking at the aga overflow kit and wanted to know if any one have bought this before? i wanted to buy it but its a little pricey. i started to build one following the diy instructions from dursostandpipes.com. i didnt read it and started to build it and i used 1" pvc instead of the 1 1/4" that they said to use. 1 1/4 " pvc seems kinda big and i wanted to know if any one have build a stand pipe following the diy from this site?

Used both. The DIY is a pretty much the same design as the AGA kit. I like the DIY better because I can tune the durso better. You should really think about using 1 1/4 PVC for the durso. HTH!

so for the diy u used 1 1/4 " pvc? i bought an 1" bulkhead and used 1" pvc for the stand pipe. i just built it today and after i was done i went back online to read ho big of a hole to drill and notice i was suppose to 1 1/4" pvc. so i was just wondering if i should make a naw one with 1 1/4" pvc or just buy aga overflow kit. i just got back from the store and i bought 1 1/4" paarts that i need to make another stand pipe, all i need is the 1 1/4" street ell and the 1 1/4" pvc. but if u say the diy is better then thats what ill go with thxs

You'll be fine with the 1". I wouldn't go back and redo it or buy an overflow kit because of that. If you need to change it later it will be easy.

Hahaha I already bought the pieces so I'm gonna just build another one. I guess ill test them both out and see if there is a big difference.

I too was troubled by the $50 price tag for an AGA overflow kit. As such, I first went the DIY route. My DIY standpipes worked OK but became slightly noisy over time (note: I should have used thin walled tubing like the directions suggested).

I was about to redo my DIY when I found a couple of AGA overflow standpipes for sale on ReefCentral. I paid less than half of retail for these. These have worked perfectly and have been 100% silent for months.

I'm sure I could have fixed my DIY job but sometimes time is more valuable than $$$. A few years ago, I would have kept tinkering and making trips to the hardware store. I'm now to the stage where I'd just rather write the check and sit back and enjoy my little fishies.

So what difference would the thin wall pvc do? Any idea why it got so loud? R u saying the aga kit is better then the diy? If so I might just return all the stuff and just buy that. I found the aga stand pipe alone for like 30 bucks. And I can make the return piping my self. What would u suggest?

Back