AI Vegas?

I have actually seen quit a few for sale... Between the Vegas, Sols and now hydras. Craigslist, eBay and the countless saltwater forums usually always have classifieds. They're some really good deals out there on these really great fixtures. I have been busy with work and am still in the plumbing phase but will def be looking here very soon.

I had the same choice a month ago. I went with vega for the fact that you can order a powerpuck and change the led layout. I plan to use this light for a long time so something that could easily be upgraded was very important.

If you want Vega's then go for it. My personal opinion, they are the worst LED on the market. Made very well, but I don't know if it is the LED's they choose or what, but terrible for corals. They also do not have any of the violet spectrum either and you really need that.

If you want Vega's then go for it. My personal opinion, they are the worst LED on the market. Made very well, but I don't know if it is the LED's they choose or what, but terrible for corals. They also do not have any of the violet spectrum either and you really need that.

Wow. Worst on the market? I should sell my Vegas and buy a Marineland "reef capable" fixture, maybe it will save my growing nicely colored corals from certain death.

You probably should seeing as how it wouldn't matter with your 2 T5's that you added to the mix. Your Vega's probably are just there for looks.

Huh that's interesting CSOReaper. Have you owned them? Or had a bunch of corals die with them? I seem to have met more then one person on here that seem to swear by them. Thats also including a buddy of mine that is running them on most all his reef tanks he has at his coral/saltwater store.

You probably should seeing as how it wouldn't matter with your 2 T5's that you added to the mix. Your Vega's probably are just there for looks.

My 2 t5's? Just 2 Vegas right now. I am planning on adding 2 T5's to help with shadowing that I think is pretty common with all LEDs.

Been running 3 vegas for almost a year on my 150.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yPNuR0don28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been running 3 vegas for almost a year on my 150.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yPNuR0don28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beautiful setup you got there.

For CSOreaper:

I have always used AI (sols and now vegas) for my own tanks, but like technology, every year it becomes obsolete in the sense the newest one has more you can play with. I've had friends who have had radions (expensive and issue is the fan on the bottom), maxspect (just bland colors in general), reefbreeders (good value, but can be improved for controllability), and GHL (so expensive, but so damn good) and I always go back to AI because it is the balancer of the groups. They're not as costly as the radions/GHL, but produce better color than the maxspect and reefbreeders, but not as good as the radions/GHL.

I'd agree that the vegas are missing the violet/UV, but to say that they kill corals and make them ugly is just straight slander. There are reasons big companies are using AI sols/products as their light source. It is cheap enough and strong enough to do what they need, which is to keep them alive, keep their color, and give good growth.

to OP:
AI Hydra 52 will be the power punching AI lighting machine that we'd all hoped for along with all the color spectrums that we wanted. I'm happy I didn't upgrade the power pucks, so hopefully I can upgrade to the 52s lol! I need some violet in my life

Thanks. @ihigh, good, balanced post. Agree. Here is a more recent update, and you can tell that the Vegas are certainly producing good growth. BTW, let's all remember - lighting is only ONE of many factors that contribute to what you'll see in the tanks in terms of coral growth and health.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/jhROEsp64mc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/jhROEsp64mc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back