Aiptasia apocalypse!

mmillerr

I have an Innovative Marine 20 peninsula in which I covered one of the long sides with sliced dry rock to make a rock wall. I found out the hard way that this provided an environment for aiptasia to take over and because the wall is vertical it severely limited me from using F Aiptasia to control them. So you can guess what has happened.

I popped any zoas and coral I could save off the wall and put them in a QT tank and was able to successfully get rid of the few hitchhikers on the rescued frags but still have to deal with the rock wall. Since I siliconed the rock to the tank (I know DOH!) it will have to be done in place. Also since it's an AIO tank there are certainly aiptasia hiding out in the filter chambers and plumbing.

Once I can find a home for my two Frostbite clowns I intend to NUKE the tank and start over. Will fresh water for a few weeks do the job or do I need to add vinegar, chlorine, or something else to make sure the aiptasia is history?

If you want to try to salvage it, I would reccomend Berghia Nudibranchs (will need a few and will take some time).

Beyond that, if you want to nuke it, I would just let it dry out. Maybe a bleach bath. I (knock on wood) have never had an Aiptasia problem. Any thoughts @kharmaguru @pinnatus @JohnL i know I’m forgetting a few tags

If you want to try to salvage it, I would reccomend Berghia Nudibranchs (will need a few and will take some time).
This is actually my favourite plan (worked for me). Outside of being discouraged by aiptasia is there nothing else redeeming about the setup that would make you want to try to save it as is?

I use kalkwasser paste on them if there is a few. If many, peppermint shrimp will work on them. But when I had a huge infestation, a copperband butterfly took them out. Nuking is an option, but they will eventually pop up again sometime.

Beyond that, if you want to nuke it, I would just let it dry out. Maybe a bleach bath. I (knock on wood) have never had an Aiptasia problem. Any thoughts @kharmaguru @pinnatus @JohnL i know I’m forgetting a few tags
Tried berghia a couple of times already. The latest was 6 large berghia, they have been in there for 2 months with no visible progress and they still wouldn't get to what could be dozens more in the AIO chambers.

Ironically, this tank was set up with !00% virgin dry rock. Every frag that went in there was quarantined in a separate tank for at least a month to spot any aiptasia and dipped in Bayer solution before going into the new tank and I still got them somehow.

One thing that none of these suggestions address is the AIO chambers in the back. Lots of nooks and crannies for the little bastards to hide out.

That's why although all of your suggestions are valid, 'nuking' the system is the only path I can see to be sure I get them all. Just looking for advice on how to ensure a complete kill-off without contaminating the rock permanently such as using copper.

I'm leaning toward fresh water with citric acid to also clean out any vermetid tubes and the little white dots that are all over the inside of the AIO sump.

I have had great success with matted filefish. Once they are all gone, they do end up eating regular food.

Back