Aiptasia in bottom of overflow

Jackg962

I am using one of the popular Aiptasia's killers and it works really good in tank. I looked in the overflow area in the corner and all around the bottom are several good sized Aiptasia. My arm will not reach down into that area to apply meds. tank is 24 incehes deep. Does anyone have any ideas how to apply some aiptasia killer into the bottom of overflow to kill these last 3 or 4.

Shut off pump. Drain overflow. Pour hot *** water on them. Drain it clean it water and bleach mix. Drain it. Wipe it. Dry it. Pour fresh water drain it dry it. Wipe it. Start system?

That might work.

Shut off pump. Drain overflow. Pour hot *** water on them. Drain it clean it water and bleach mix. Drain it. Wipe it. Dry it. Pour fresh water drain it dry it. Wipe it. Start system?

That might work.

That sounds good but instead of hot water just use bleach. Do you have a shop vac so you can get every last drop of water out? If so I would go with fraggled's advice but substitute bleach and let them sit for a while.

Just a guess, but I doubt they'd last in hydrogen peroxide or vinegar either, and both are less risky than bleach.

Hi. New guy here. I have a serious aiptasia (however you spell those little pains) problem. I have a complete ecosystem self sustained setup. 180g on top 60 in the sump with 100-150# live rock lots of various corals. I feed zooplankton about once a month. The last batch of rock brought approximately a jillion aiptasia. I don't want to chemically remove the bastards as my tank functions so well on its own. What animal loves aiptasia and won't mess with the expensive corals, zoas, etc...? HELP!

i heard Filefish eats aiptasia, i got a mean clean up crew so i never had to worry about aiptasia, good luck on that one though.

My peppermint shrimps have cleaned out my DT, but I had the same problem with the overflow. Added 3 peppermint shrimps, scraped one large aiptasia to get the party started and about a dozen including some big ones were gone over night.

Left the shrimps in there for another week to make sure they were all gone and then sumped the shrimps.

That sounds good but instead of hot water just use bleach. Do you have a shop vac so you can get every last drop of water out? If so I would go with fraggled's advice but substitute bleach and let them sit for a while.

Just a guess, but I doubt they'd last in hydrogen peroxide or vinegar either, and both are less risky than bleach.

If you use bleach, it's convenient to know that hydrogen peroxide will immediately neutralize bleach. So as long as it's isolated from your tank and water supply, bleach will work faster but you have to be able to neutralize it - combining the two agents will liberate one molecule sodium chloride, one molecule of water, and one molecule of molecular oxygen (O2 - it'll probably fizz gently if diluted a bit).

Either way, be careful. A few aiptasia aren't necessarily a bad thing, btw. Just if they get to plague populations.

Hi. New guy here. I have a serious aiptasia (however you spell those little pains) problem. I have a complete ecosystem self sustained setup. 180g on top 60 in the sump with 100-150# live rock lots of various corals. I feed zooplankton about once a month. The last batch of rock brought approximately a jillion aiptasia. I don't want to chemically remove the bastards as my tank functions so well on its own. What animal loves aiptasia and won't mess with the expensive corals, zoas, etc...? HELP!

Good luck. I can't kill the stupid things regardless of what I try. I've tried Aptasia-X, Lemon Juice, Kalk Paste and boiling water. They always come back.

I've been considering trying a Manjano Wand, but the price is a little steep and I've heard mixed reviews. Some of mine are also in places where it's about impossible to get to them.

There is no need for bleach,what I have done with my overflow is like others said,shut down return pump,and siphon out overflow.I used cold freshwater and let it sit for about 3hrs then siphon freshwater out,rinse then siphon again,then start return pump back on.

There is no need for bleach,what I have done with my overflow is like others said,shut down return pump,and siphon out overflow.I used cold freshwater and let it sit for about 3hrs then siphon freshwater out,rinse then siphon again,then start return pump back on.

I'd be hesitant to use bleach as well. Accidents happen. Containment procedures fail. Pumps accidentally get switched back on. I'd probably opt for some RO/DI water, and some vinegar. Melt them with acid while they are dying from osmotic shock. Call them bad names while they die for added effect.

I'd be hesitant to use bleach as well. Accidents happen. Containment procedures fail. Pumps accidentally get switched back on. I'd probably opt for some RO/DI water, and some vinegar. Melt them with acid while they are dying from osmotic shock. Call them bad names while they die for added effect.

Or Vinegar! I forgot that option! =P

I just hate them little suckers LOL

Get a Peppermint shrimp and don't do anything else.
My Peppermint ate all aiptasia in the tank except for ONE, to allow it to multiply and provide for later snacking.
In your case the overflow will provide endless supply for the shrimp.
Enjoy the circle of life.

Back